Sunday, December 13, 2009

Roast Chicken FF Style (People Afraid of Butter Look Away Now)

Usually I'd have roast chicken with roast vegetables but it's just too hot, so I made a salad with tomato, bocconcini, rocket, basil, blanched red onions, olive oil and white wine vinegar.

Roast chicken is one of my favourite meals. I find it easy, economical and intensely comforting. Plus there's not much washing up if you line your roasting tin with aluminium foil and baking paper like I do. I only use free range chickens and you should too. Battery hens and eggs are the Devil's Work.

Some people are afraid to cook with butter. I'm not one of them. I think shoving butter between the skin and flesh with herbs is the Key to a nice roast chook. Try it. You'll see. Don't be sqeamish.

I use whatever herbs the FF garden has produced: in this case mint, Italian parsley and rosemary. I put herbs and butter and garlic cloves inside the cavity if I can't be bothered making stuffing.


Just wash and pat dry your chook, coat it in butter and put butter between the skin and breast with fresh herbs. I use a lot of salt and pepper. You should too. Cook in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes per 500g plus 30 minutes. You won't be sorry.

12 comments:

  1. Oh that looks lovely. Nothing better than a roast chook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bun is the bomb!

    I also endorse cooking with butter. A roast chook without butter is a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using butter with everything as well! Even eggs!

    Unfortunately, that is not so good for my expanding waistline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really can't cook without butter- it is essential!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Pioneer Woman are kindred spirits when it comes to butter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I want to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love butter!
    I go overboard, the more the butter.
    eeerr I mean better. Or do I?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butter makes the world go round. Love the food post FF, more please!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely looking chicken! And the salad looks amazing, I could learn from you about salad presentation

    ReplyDelete
  10. If salad looks Good it tastes Better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FF,

    This is my first time posting on your ahmahzing blog. Your writing is so witty and funny I am always to scared to comment but I do just have to say that I have the exact same ballet flats. From Honky.

    This pleases me greatly as you do have the best style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FF, am cooking a chook now, used rosemary and thyme snipped from the garden in the cavity and lots of butter everywhere. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.

Want More of the Same?

Related Posts with Thumbnails