Sunday, March 28, 2010

Let's Challenge the Paradigm People

Doesn't this 11/10 breakfast product look delicious? I ate it this morning at Eurovida, my new favourite place on Given Tce when I met my girlfriends ZZ (my Favourite Hungarian) and M (all round Great Friend). The staff are lovely and the cooks will help you if you have food allergies. Kathy who runs it is lovely. Run Don't Walk. You've been told.
I know navy blue stripes are everywhere about the traps which suits me because I own this little Chloe frock. I got it from Jean Brown. It's Visionary.
You know how I love using Our Nonsensical Fashion Word Visionary? Ok well I found an even more ridiculous Nonsensical bit of Fashion Speak in April's $20 American Vogue. Ready for it?
"Challenging the Paradigm"
As far as I'm concerned, It's everything a Nonsensical Fashion Phrase should be.
Here's my Chloe frock Challenging the Paradigm likes No One's Business
When I got home the Universe told me to sort out the FF Garden and give it a Good Hard Prune. I do as I'm Told.

I love the pruning bit but I hate and loathe the cleanup.

I love cordylines. You should get some. Their foliage gives you colour if your flowers aren't blooming
Hello maroon cordyline
Hello canna lily
This is my neighbour's plant growing over my fence. I don't know what it is but I like it a lot.


And let's hear it for Mondo Grass. I know it's an 80s landscaping cliche but I love it anyway.
Meanwhile my nails are wrecked from all the Gardening plus I have scratches on my legs Dammit.
I am actioning domestic tasks-washing, braising quince, vacuuming and watching tv. What are the rest of you doing?
Hope there's something good on tv tonight.
A few days ago Kate from Make Do Style sent me an award whatsy where you have to say 7 things about yourself so here goes:
*I don't use eye cream or moisturiser on my face
*I am a big believer in writing thank you notes for everything and it annoys me that people don't send these after weddings/engagement parties for gifts I gave
*Sometimes I mix vaseline and moisturiser and use it as hand cream because my dermatologist said that this is what Creme de la Mer essentially is
*I love faux orchids (Forchids)
*I would never front up to the Coalface or any social event with wet hair
*I love Gardening and especially love it that you can't eat while doing it
*I think Single Women get a raw deal in society and often get patronised or pitied or misjudged by their Smug Married Counterparts in a way Single Men do not
I pass this onto Catherine at Little House of Style Blog I found her blog when she commented on Judy's Atlantis Home. She was wearing her Grandma's vintage dress from Henri Bendel. She designs book jackets and has very nice clothes.
I also gift it to That Not My Age who has a beautiful English blog and makes me laugh.
And she is a regular commenter here, so I love her! I've got the Brits and Yanks covered.
Go forth and read.

30 comments:

  1. Do you seriously not moisturise your face? not even some spf? You seemed to have lovely skin considering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think its so nice you share other peoples blogs here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I break out if I moisturise- I have very oily skin. My skin aint so fab close up. Years of sun and living outdoors, smoking and frowning have taken their toll more's the pity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FF - thank you so much for the visionary award, I am truly honoured. Let me have your address and I'll send a hand-written note! We're off on our spring mini-break today (I will be reporting back from a glamorous location later this week, keep checking the blog) so I may not get round to my seven things.

    Love the Chloe frock, trés chic - and pleased to see you wear gardening gloves, couldn't bear to think of you with revolting chipped nail varnish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I agree completely with you on sending a thank you note. I can't belive people who think it is optional and somehow not liking the gift means you don't have to acknowledge it.

    I knew this would be an oasis from the insanity.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear FF, love your answers. I wish I was as good at gardening as you! Look forward to reading your blog. We like a lot of the same things. Thanks so much for adding me, because I have this 'adult content' warning on my blog it shows as that in your blogroll. Please can you edit it to Fashion's Most Wanted. I have appealed to Google as I don't think my blog should have a warning on at all so fingers crossed it'll be gone soon. Have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear FF, what were you like in high school? A nerd, popular, quiet, noisy, a loner, different, extremely intelligent? How often do you need to have your roots touched up? Your hair looks seriously good. As good as any celebrity walking on the red carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In high school I studied hard and wasn't quiet or different or anything. I was really into art and drama-I had actually forgotten how much I was into art until my reunion last year when everyone was saying did you keep up with your art and I had sort of forgotten about how much I loved it. I was actually pretty good at it too. I was a tiny bit naughty with drinking smoking and sneaking out (I was a boarder) but I never got caught! I do my own roots about once a month which makes my hairdresser mad 'cause I do it so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you use powder bleach?

    ReplyDelete
  10. No I use 9 or 9.13 dye I think it is loreal. I just do my part and hairline. The hairdresser does foils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you always cheer me when I see you have done another post!! Breakfast looked DELISH and Chloe frock ditto... and the cordylines in FF garden positively luscious... How funny... I used to sneak out too from school (was also a boarder) and to the 'off licence' (place we bought drink) - NEVER got caught - definitely deserved to though!! So, really NO moisturiser EVER?? What about tinted moisturiser in the morning... My face would feel like a prune - and prob. look like one too!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I moisturise arms and legs but never face or neck. Eve Lom says this is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think people forget how utterly sticky and humid Brisbane is...I confess that I have slightly oily skin and therefore also forgo moisturiser due to Queensland heat. If I do moiturise it just seems to kind of come back to the surface in an oil slick. Hard to explain to people who live in drier climates. Never have a problem using moisturiser in Perth or Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vaseline is my lifesaving god.
    I send thankyou cards a lot.
    Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FF, I have been admiring your garden. It is beautiful. Cordylines are my favourite. My human friend loves gardening and I might take photos of it soon and put it on my blog. Thankyou for your garden updates as it's refreshing to see people at one with nature.
    xx Scampi the Garden Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi FF, another fascinating post to brighten my Sunday, have just returned from supermarket so in dire need of glamour! i love all your commenters' blogs too - through you have I discovered more fab blogs, like Carly's, Semi Expat, That's Not my age, Gardener lady, Privilege and recently Slim Paley - so thank you!Oh and the marvellous Mai Tai - spent ages messing about with my scarves trying to do her clever butterfly arrangements; sadly i do not own a Hermes scarf, shocking isn't it, the depth of deprivation here in rural England? But am now addicted to my screen! I am afraid I don't really like gardening - I find it annoying that I spend hours weeding and tidying up and then have to do it all over again in a couple of years time..also I am the sort of person who plants bulbs upside down...Our lawn is a disgrace, but well camouflaged by discarded footballs, goals, frisbees etc. i do wear pink gardening gloves though, that a friend gave me. Must go, Mr B wants to use the 'puter for important research (I suspect football results) Blightyxx P.S. MR B has just said how lovely your hair is, high praise indeed from a man whose usual comment when I come home fom a 3 hour marathon at the hairdressers is "What's for dinner?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant I love how you rock up on your posts! Love the Chloe dress and I did my garden yesterday. Need more plants as it is still work in progress but put in raspberry canes, strawberry plants, rhubarb, potatoes with peas, french beans, spinach and rocket to follow.

    I'm impressed by no moisturiser on face - I've been told it is fairly pointless as all in genes, plus sun and smoking damage - tut tut Ms FF!

    Totally agree ref single women, so annoying, hardly visionary or challenging the paradigm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Chloe dress... I can just see you hanging out on Onassis's yacht!

    I know you get positively bombarded with questions re: dressing for work but how much do you think should one push the boundaries when all the women solicitors and lady barristers seem to wear black (and occasionally navy) suits?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm absolutely awestruck by your garden. We're about to Embark on a Major Project with our yard. We may even Bend The Paradigm a bit.

    Adorable dress. That Jean Brown shop seems to be a treasure trove!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow i did not know you did your own hair.
    i wish i could do mine.
    my hairdresser refuses to touch mine if its less than 5 weeks so i have gnarly regrowth for 2.5 out of the 5 weeks because my hair grows fast. GRR.

    I hope you enjoy your DiorShow. You didn't go the blackout.
    the blackout is the best. I have a feeling Im the only one who thinks this though. hahahaha.

    My indoor plants are dying.
    They need your great gardening skills to revive them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't use eye cream but really think I should start. I just don't because I"m overwhelmed by the choices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blighty you can't wait for years between garden admin- I am pruning at the momnt fortnightly! But it rained last night whihc is the best thing ever after pruning. Hooray.

    I can never get my blowdry as good as Hayden my whippersnapper hairdresser who is a mere child can but he says that's the point or I wouldn't return. I have to touch up the roots myself because I hate the look of regrowth it is so uggers on me and I coouldn't be bothered with the expense and time of going to a hairdresser all the time.

    Deja, Jean Brown is indeed an Oasis of Wonderfulness. Plus my good friend A owns it so I like to shop there because of her too-she has been a major style influence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i dreamt about you and the blog last night LOL.... i dreamt i met you in the city i was buying lunch and you came up to me and said 'are you dani' and i replied 'yes are you miss ff?" and you replied " THE dani!"... and then proceeded to marvel in how visionary the blog is because it brings people together...

    anyways i am real and i have my own blog and i follow yours! have a great day, i am avoiding the city today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for the blog love! Here goes 7 things off the top of my head . . .

    1. I studied Poetry and Colonial History in College
    2. I had trouble reading as a kid so would memorize books and "read" them to my mom. She was shocked when my teacher told her I couldn't read. I still can't sound out words.
    3. I love to cook.
    4. I recently put myself on a "Shoe Diet" because shoeboxes are overtaking my apartment!
    5. I surf.
    6. My mom and both of her parents are musicians.
    7. I love going to the laundromat.

    - Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
    http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well I followed one of your other readers advice and got myself to My Chemist and bought the Diorshow ( just the plain ol' one) - $29.99. I couldn't find it anywhere in the store but the lovely Shop Girl promised me she had seen some and hunted about and found it.
    FF have you made the leap to the eye lash curler???? I promise you- it will change your life.....people have been literally stopping me in the street to ask me what sort of eye lash curler I use.
    Speaking of nonsensical fashion words.....give me VISIONARY and CHALLENGING THE PARADIGM any day....."Luxe" drives me spaaaaaarre.
    PS I was exaggerating just a little bit about people stopping in the street...but it does make a difference....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Non-moisturisers unite! I don't moisturise at night, Brissy is too humid. I just whack a bit of oil of olay on during the day to protect my skin from the aircon at the "coalface" :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your garden is just gorgeous - lots of colour, texture and personality. Just like a garden should be.

    I'm working from home today and have just put your yogurt cake in the oven to bake. I used apples and lots of brown sugar on top. This is the first cake I have baked in my 33 years! Can you believe it. I'm trying to sweeten up Mr Lah and this was the first thing that came to mind. Thanks for making it so easy!

    Hope you're having a fab Monday FF.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That breakfast looks delicious! It's so important to get the day off to a good start.

    I've recently started a new job and your posts have been very helpful when deciding what to wear to the coalface and how to go about grooming to create a professional image. Thanks for sharing your life & style with the world, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear FF, I am Shocked to the Core to learn that I cannot leave 2 years between actioning garden admin, next you will be telling me that cleaning my house needs to be actioned more often than every 6 months...am very upset so am going for a lie down Blightyxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Leaves those paradigms alone. It was bad enough when we has "shifting paradigms." Let them do whatever it is they want, but without bothering us, you know?!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.