Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Leos

This is a beautiful drawing that my friend Kate B gave me. It's got my ginger jar, my pink iceberg roses, my quince tart and my leopard print place mat! I know. I couldn't believe it either. I love it 11/10 and was so touched by her thoughtfulness and attention to detail. It was drawn by Alexandra Nea. She has a blog too. Meanwhile everyone's posting snaps of their kitchen sinks and their views from same. I'm a Joiner:
Behold the Glamour. I'm the last person on the planet without a dishwasher so I do the lot by hand. This is my view from the aforementioned sink.

I like to watch telly while I action the washing up.









The Garden is still failing to cover itself in Glory but a few old stalwarts are flying the flag. Like this salvia.



and this hard-to-kill geranium










Everyone has their own special bolognaise secrets. I like to remove the casing of an Italian pork and fennel sausage and then add the sausage mince. You should too. You won't be sorry.






The FF Leo Necklace by Red Phoenix Emporium has just turned 1. Hooray. And Happy 1st Birthday. The beauty of the necklace is that it can in fact be worn by any star sign of the zodiac. Plus it makes you look young and slim. Really. It does.


And Happy Birthday to all Leos out there. I wish you a year of Good Times and Good Hair.


Say what you will about us Leos, we are Loyal. And Loving. But do not try to come between us and a reflective surface while we are Sorting Out Our Hair. Or you'll be sorry.


There's so much sadness in the news these days what with the falling price of shares and the American economy and what not, so it's important that we focus on some light hearted things. Like photo shopping. Look at what Sarah Jessica Parker's hands look like after the Magic of photo shopping:




And how cute is Harper Beckham? I bet she's got a Missoni baby cardy. Or seven.


And have you heard the news that Our Leader's secret tapes with Arthur Whatsy from the early 1960s are going to be released???? I know. I am beyond excited. Apparently you can hear the ice cubes in her drink clinking and hear her striking matches to light her cigarettes. She was a Leo too and let me tell you she was Dead Set Fussy about her own 'do.


I get a lot of emails from The Younger Players still in the 1st cusp of Whippersnapper-ness asking me for advice. I don't really have any except I think that you should say no to clutter and yes to having a great group of friends. Pay attention to grooming, because when you look good you'll feel better. Make your bed. Never pay retail for high end designer clobber. Do stuff you enjoy and feel passionate about. Learn to cook. Buy a parlux hairdryer. Keep your polish chip free. Learn the power of gratitude. And stay away from battery hen eggs and chooks. Free range is what you want.


A lovely reader asked me what the Coalface is. It's an office or a workplace. It's meant to be a joke- my working conditions do not in any way resemble an underground colliery in downtown Wales circa 1880. Some people use the term Salt Mine instead. But I'm not one of them.In keeping with the Happiness Project I am actioning tonnes of exercise and decluttering and am still trying to action Extreme Nice (you know, where you never criticise, snap at or get cranky


with your loved ones no matter what) with every cell and fibre of my being. So far so good.


xxxxxxxxxx

Edited to Add: I cannot believe what is happening in London. The world has gone stark raving mad.

44 comments:

  1. Ann, Coles is a supermarket! Chook is a chicken! Coalface is jokey term for workplace! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. FF

    Thank you for an uplifting Leonine post. It was just what I needed.

    I will take note of your advice to young whippersnappers. Truly timelss advice.

    A kitchen sink photo?!?! I must get one styled this week. Perhaps for my birthday?

    Lots of love


    SSG xxx

    Sydney Shop Girl blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. My essential spaghetti Bol ingredient is wostershire sauce!
    Love this post FF, from a fellow Leo. PS are you back at work, or heading back soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday FF from one Leo to another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ssg- can't wait to see your sink- got the idea from Leslie over at Hostess of the humble bungalow

    BBM I am on maternity leave and loving the time with my baby 9 million/10 x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the sort of fabulous female Leo that I aspire to be Faux Fuchsia. Unfortunately my "mane" barely qualifies for the title, but this is why God invented hot rollers and hairdryers and other follicular torture devices ;)

    I am going to try your hint for the SpagBolEtti (as we call it in these uncultured and faux European parts). It sounds delicious. Mine already includes minced hot salami and kabana, bacon, Woster and a million other things, so I'm sure another flavour bomb couldn't hurt!

    Also, that drawing is so beautiful! Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have linked your blog on the "Views From The Sink" post here...thanks for joining in FF I feel blessed.

    I must say your gloves are a pretty shade of pink!
    I think we need to keep positive about the economic news..."never pay retail for high end designer clobber is great advice".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, we Leos love having things written about us. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday FF!!! We LEO'S need to stick together!! It was my birthday yesterday, I had a fab day out with the girls and then dinner with my kids and darling hubby!! What more could a girl want!! Here's wishing you and absolutely awesome day!!!! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lillian, isn't the drawing pecious? Dont asapire to my hair- it is bleached and tortured from my ghd!

    Leslie- the sink idea is the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beryl Ej and Miss Nell happy birthday- mine's later in the week- I do luff August so much- so much leonine love

    Might devote this week's posts to all things leo-tastic xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is hard to get a look in edgewise at the mirror when Hubby is a Leo FF. I know, the shame of it. He is a Prize Preener but very, very loyal so i am grateful for that.

    I loved Kate B's drawing! What a special gift and her attention to detail is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear FF, what a beautiful picture, very talented and thoughtful. I'm also a Leo, hope you have a lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have a dishwasher either.
    It kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Siobhan
    Thankyou for being a Stalwart of the Blog! And I hear you about the preening. Mr FF (a leo) is very particular re his Superior Hair (no grey, no bald spot and he is in his late 40s so it is a miracle of hair really)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aspiring. I should get a dishwasher. It would be sensible.

    Happy Birthday Samantha!!! Hope you get some excellent gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post, full of advice for whippersnappers - never too early to declutter. That drawing is so beautiful with your favourite things in it - what a clever present.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Mrs E
    The drawing was very special I can't wait to frame it. Whippersnappers need to say NO to clutter. There is a show here called Hoarders that fills me with Horror. Clutter abounds. It isn't pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't do extreme nice, I'm too Scottish, we do dripping sarcasm best. I've always hated clutter though, it messes with my head, I like to own just what I use regularly and nothing more.

    That picture above is so perfect for you FF! I love thoughtful gifts like that. I also thing baby Beckham is super cute, my Mister never grew up enough to even think about having babies.

    Two things I need now:
    1. A new hairdryer, mine is about 17 years old and smells of burning every time I use it.
    2.Washing up gloves, my hands are never out of the sink and are looking quite worn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think there is a book in there titled "Advice to Whippersnappers". I counted 9 chapters already mentioned: Say no to clutter, being one, make your bed, another, buy a Parlux, a third. First two chapters plus full chapter outline should action that advance. PS: Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look in to those DWashers that sit on the bench, I've heard they are pretty good.

    I watch hoarders too, its terrifying. The lady with the loose birds in the house who was on Oprah 6 years ago woke me up!! It was just after my mum had died and I was going through her estate/house, it helped me to resist just absorbing everything into my home.

    I think I have the niceness bit under control, as a teacher I have come to realize that all of those nasty traits you describe get you absolutely nowhere but frustrated, as a parent they will only destroy your child's self esteem, as a partner they'll undermine your relationship. I try to catch my flies with honey rather than vinegar~ I do have to work at it at home really hard!!

    I too get asked by some whippersnappers how to achieve longevity in our career and I tell them to keep balance with work and home, be organised well in advance, dress and present well, as it seems to immediately command respect, stand firm with standards and practise, where necessary, that extreme kindness you describe, as we have the power to make or break kids and I'd rather be making great citizens rather than turning them off education forever.
    oops sorry its long..i always say tooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday FF! Can't believe FF Leo necklace is one already! FF Leo might just be getting some friends for its birthday :)

    L
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello FF!

    where have you been all my life.

    I love pork and fennel sausages possibly more than i love my boyfriend.

    i have a secret for bolognaise. i only ever use sausage mince. sometimes I make the bolognaise very thick, stuff it into large pasta shells then drizzle home made parmesan cream and peas on top. then some more cheese.

    it's very healthy.

    s X

    ReplyDelete
  24. ps very happy birthday to you. I hope the Baby and Mr. FF spoil you X

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Miss FF,

    I am still the boss of my mum's computer so I am commenting on your blog. (And I answered your comment on Mum's blog too.)

    Because I am a whippersnapper - I am going to follow all your really good advice properly. I make my bed every day, I try to look good (but I don't need a Parlux - my hair is very short and it just sort of does itself), I wear high end clobber from Posh Pets (and I source extras from my brother who won't wear his clothes). I don't need a dishwasher because I always leave my plate very, very clean.

    My Mum says that Kate B is really wonderful -she's is a saint, and at our house we call her Saint Kate B. She met my brother and I on Saturday and she was very, very nice to us. She didn't give us any chocolate though because she said that chocolate is not good for us???

    WEll, bye for now Miss FF
    love from

    Siggi B
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Ms FF, Happy birthday to you and all Leos! It is a good thing that your blog is a haven of beauty (I always love your flower pics) and sensible advice as the world has gone mad. I have no view from my kitchen sink. In Chile, the institution of 'nannas' (housekeepers often from Peru who speak the most beautiful Spanish) is so deeply entrenched that ladies of the house hardly visit the kitchen (people dine out on Sundays on the nanna's day off) so architects don't pay too much attention to the aesthetics. Must run, the little one wants help with homework. love Lindaxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mr FF's hair does sound enviable.

    Thank you for such an entertaining blog. Love it to bits!!! Oh and Happy Birthday for later.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Siggi- nice work with the typing! You've inspired me to get my own puppy very soon.

    Linda, can I just say I luff the little Chileans 11/10- was looking at their divine thank you notes te other day- so sweet, so well brought up.

    Siobhan, Mr FF's has the best hair ever- my Grandma didn't go grey til her 80s and he will be the same.

    Sophie I do hope I am spoilt, but if not, I will Self Gift. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mr G and eldest daughter both Leos! You are spot on about the hair, my goodness they spend hours on their hair. I dread to think what will happen when Mr G loses his.

    Me too beyond excited re the Jackie tapes. Apparently confirms she had an affair with Gianni Agnelli, I have long believed Jfk jf his son, they look so alike (same hairline) who knew she was such a fox?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful post just what I needed what with rioting going on! All fine where we are but could see the helicopters & smoke for miles. Much prefer your view of the sink.
    Can you believe I still am without a Parlux?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the drawing - so special.

    I married a Leo. Love the advice for whippersnappers too.

    Take care and have a lovely birthday month.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday Fabulous Leo!!

    I am next as I am a Virgo!! I love that your Bolognese has fennel a favorite ingredient to use.

    Can I have my hands permanently Photoshopped!??

    Good advice for all, especially no chipped nails/ or simply don't wear polish/ just buff!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your manifesto is absolutely brilliant. I must link to it. And today is my Little Leo's birthday (he turns 14!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  34. On the brighter side, you've posted to your blog, ensuring a moment of smiling for those of us on the other side of this benighted world.

    ReplyDelete
  35. dearest ff,

    love the painting/drawing. so perfect for you and how thoughtful.

    i'm not a candidate for extreme nice. i'm not that patient. but i will try. for you.

    the advice you offer your young whippersnapper readers is priceless. everyone needs a mum like you.

    baby beckham is adorable.

    please kiss o for me.

    can't wait for the jackie tapes.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOOPS! I forgot to say Happy Birthday!
    Hope that you are feted in style!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Excellent advice for the whippersnappers; I wish I had had the same when I was in my 20s! (aka the Dark Ages)

    My oldest brother is a Leo (Aug. 7). He doesn't have much hair, but what's left is arranged just so. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dear FF

    Was thinking of you today as I strolled on by the Missoni shop in Sloane St, (actually it was Baby FF I was thinking of, as I know he is after a Missoni cardigan) only to be so sad and shocked to see it totally emptied of everything on display due to the senselessness that is sweeping all of London at the moment.

    Wishing you a very happy birthday and make sure you Self Gift anyway, it's usually the best way to not feel
    disappointed!!!

    I am a new follower to your blog, on the recommendation of a good friend B, and luff it, luff it, luff it 11/10 and am
    addicted to your wonderful way with words. Thank you for making me smile.

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Unfortunately the rages are not limited to London ... I don't get it at all. Crazy!
    There seems to be a huge gap between the established middle class and young immigrants - often in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation.
    Full moon is ahead, more trouble to come.

    ReplyDelete
  40. FF - happy, happy birthday! I'm a Leo too, but I don't have nice hair at all. It is the bane of my life, but thanks to the miracle of straighteners, it is currently swooshy!

    Fab tip re the sausages - must give that a go. Excellent advice re the eggs and the chooks and well, everything really.

    It's such an uplifting blog - don't ever stop! :-D

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi FF,
    Happy Birthday for later in the week ! Your post was just so enjoyable. Thank you for all the wit, beauty and fabulous advice -which is good for any age really.
    Having had way too many natural disasters around this part of the world it is hard to believe people would intentionally destroy their own cities isn't it?
    Polly xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. I adore Alexandra Nea's blog, it is one of my favourites.

    I CANNOT believe that you don't have a dishwasher. I'm even more impressed with the vast volumes of fab cooking that you do. Installing one was one of the first things I spent money on in my place. It isn't just the washing, it is the hiding of the dirty dishes. A wonderful thing.

    Have a very happy birthday later in the week and well done with the Happiness Project. It is lovely what adding a bit of extra happiness does to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi FF

    (long time reader, first time poster)
    Hope you have a fantastic bday. If you're not spoilt by Mr FF/Baby FF, at least you will know that your Bugaboo Missoni accessories kit is coming soon. How do i know, i hear you ask? Coz i picked mine up today ..YAY!.. Also, have you heard of the Target x Missoni range coming up in Sept in the States??? OMG! Makes me want to fly there and bring back every piece of the 400 item range.

    PS: i don't have a dishwasher either. i prefer washing the dishes old skool style. That, and i don't want to wait an hour before the dish washing is done

    ReplyDelete
  44. Siggi your funny and very handsome!
    FF London is going mad. Even L's little pub in Fulham was trashed and that Michelin star resturant in Notting Hill when they took all their jewellery and wallets until the chefs came out with meat cleaver and the like. Seriously scary stuff. Christina on Fashion most wanted posted of her experience thankfully nothing happened but stil.................
    I had no idea UK police were not armed its crazy. They need water cannons now seriously.
    Kate Bx

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.