This is the cake you want People. It's easy, it's fast to make, it's delicious and for People Who are Afraid of Butter (I'm Not! But if you've been following this blog you already know that)-there is no butter in this Magic Cake!
Mix a cup of caster sugar, 1 and 2/3 cups of flour, a splash of vanilla, 1 tsp of bicarb, 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder, grated lemon rind, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of any vegetable oil (use olive if you want), a pinch of salt and a cup of yoghurt (plain or flavoured, diet or fat-it makes no diff).
Look at the Goodness of this Golden Batter!
I peeled some white peaches and shoved them on top but you can use anything-frozen raspberries, poached quince, tinned pears, apricots....this is the Magic of the Cake. Any fruit will work. I sprinkle brown sugar on top, but if you can't be bothered don't. Put it in a well lined pan and bake at 180 for 45 to 55 minutes.
Don't you just want to rush out and bake this immediately? And there is hardly any washing up. Plus it's good for you because it contains yogurt, fruit and no butter. Clever really.
I peeled some white peaches and shoved them on top but you can use anything-frozen raspberries, poached quince, tinned pears, apricots....this is the Magic of the Cake. Any fruit will work. I sprinkle brown sugar on top, but if you can't be bothered don't. Put it in a well lined pan and bake at 180 for 45 to 55 minutes.
Don't cover it with glad wrap, it will sweat-use aluminium foil or a cake dome thingy.
Enjoy.
Hubby is on a diet so insists he doesn't want a cake for his birthday. I think he secretly does want cake, so I'll have a go at making this for him - it looks delicious and at least he won't feel guilty :-)
ReplyDeleteFantastic recipe - thanks FF. will whip that up for next book club!
ReplyDeleteI definitely want to rush home and bake this immediately. Your post has caused hunger pangs and it is only 9.30am, with the whole day at the office ahead. Gaaah!
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, have recently found you via Miss Kitty Cat but also seem to remember you from Vogue, where I no longer frequent. Love the blog, you crack me up :)
Looks fantastic and I love that you can add whatever is to hand fruit-wise too.. thank you for another great "Tested and Tasted by the FF kitchen" recipe to add to my collection!
ReplyDeletemmmm! sounds like a heavenly summery recipe! and you're right in the midst of summer.
ReplyDeletethe peaches we get here- like everything else- are imported, and i say, why bother? (peaches in the caribbean? um..no.) they're, i don't know, picked too early and just not very good. and they're not alabama peaches; my home state has the best in the US, in my opinion. are you fortunate enough to have them grown nearby? if so- lucky you! enjoy!
Thanks FF, The universe told me to bake this cake as well and so I did using apples and frozen berries. It has just come out of the oven and it looks and smells divine.
ReplyDeleteYummy recipe!! We have the same colouredkitchenaid!!
ReplyDeletePurely, that is great that you made it!
ReplyDeleteHi Amy and thanks for reading!
Syd Shop Girl- everyone knows the red kitchenaids go faster! Like red cars.
Style Odyssey, my parents live in a rural community that is very cold and has tonnes of orchards where stone fruits like peaches plums apricots and quince flourish so we are very lucky that the fruit doesn't have to travel far....the supermarkets are full of imported stuff in Australia too. I try to buy local stuff where ever possible, because farmers have it hard enough as it is.
Keep baking people. It is soothing.
we have all the ingredients at home... i think that means it'd be wrong not too?
ReplyDeleteis it quite moist? i'm trying to imagine what it tastes like, but can't. haha. would a cream cheese frosting work with it? yum.. i mean... no frosting.... ;)
ps just went and got my first pedi in years... thanks to you!!! and now my tootsies are Lincoln Park After Dark-ened... :)
ReplyDeleteHi FF
ReplyDeleteThis isn't really the post for this question, but it is the most recent. I have a question I'd like you to answer: after 10 years in avante garde creative advertising wearing vintage dresses and red lippie, I'm moving to a corporate advertising firm. For the first time in my life, I have to wear corporate attire. My recent trip to Cue left me in a cold sweat, and I'm utterly panicked. How do you make corporate wear look so stylish, and still retain your own sense of personality and style while dressing for the coalface?
Amazing!! Using yoghurt - my ignorant cooking self is pleasantly surprised! Sounds like a wonderful recipe which I must try!!!
ReplyDeletePS I LOVE your blog and have been stalking it for quite some time (since its conception haha, thanks to VF!) Am really enjoying how you write and your decluttering campaign!!
xx Deb
Fab cake. I have some peaches at home that need to be eaten. I wonder if Mr Kitty would like this cake...?
ReplyDeleteOnika, this is a moist cake.
ReplyDeleteTeacups, there was a revolution at work in the late 90s and I have not worn a suit since then. I wear twinsets instead and dresses. I don't wear corporate stuff but alays try to be groomed and I think that gets me over the line. It is hard in summer when it is so hot. I've never shopped at Cue so am not really au fait with its stock. Just wait to see what your new colleagues are wearing. Lots of girls in my office don't wear suits and have their own styles but they look nice and work appropriate. Good Luck!
Never Smile glad you are enjoying the blog !xxx
Hi FF! The cake looks positively delicious, and I'm about to have a go at whipping one up myself... Just a quick question though; what size cake tin did you use?
ReplyDeleteHi FF! The cake looks positively delicious, and I'm about to have a go at whipping one up myself... Just a quick question though; what size cake tin did you use?
ReplyDeleteJust measured 22 cm across.
ReplyDeleteJust made this cake using frozen blueberries, and two different yoghurt flavours 'cause that's all I had o_o... can't wait to try it!
ReplyDeleteLove all the recipes you share :) hope you're having a great time with your niece too!!!
Ooh great recipe thanks - ironically I've just logged on after baking cherry & choc chip muffins ;) The universe told me to make them too!
ReplyDeleteI am liking the looks of this cake. Have a friend coming for tea Saturday and I will whip one up.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
UPDATE ON CAKE - AMAZING
ReplyDeleteIt is sooooo yummy <3 thanks so much for this recipe!
I am really glad that this cake is making everyone so happy. I'm telling you, it's a Good Cake.
ReplyDeleteMust report back on cake; it's GREAT! Turned out beautifully and I'm already devising new fruit + yoghurt combo's to try out next time. Thanks for measuring the tin too FF, I was hoping you'd say it was that size because my spring-form tin is 22cm and as we all know, spring-forms make life that much easier. Plus, the only other tin I have is heart-shaped and for some unknown reason I don't see it as a peach cake kinda tin?
ReplyDeleteUpdate, This cake was absolutley delicious!
ReplyDeleteI served it for a friend for afternoon tea and she went back for thirds :)
The brown sugar on top became kind of caramely around the edges mmmm....
Will definitely be making this cake again, can't wait to try out some different fruits.
Also, I agree entirely that baking is soothing. It can be a very quiet and calming activity. It was so lovely this morning in the short burst of cool, rainy weather we had. And the baking smells spreading through the house work as well as aromatherapy I swear!
Oh now I want cake!
ReplyDelete