Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Hello. When I woke up this morning I thought for a moment I had to get up and haul myself to The Coalface and then I remembered it was a Public Holiday! Hooray.
I've got people coming for lunch on Sunday so I've been doing some gardening- I just hope that these iceberg roses don't get eaten by a possum before then, because they look good.
Meanwhile I am loving that new born baby elephant at Taronga Zoo. It is so cute. I was looking for a toy elephant for Nephew FF but I could only find a pink one not a blue one, but I thought what the hell, sometimes you have to Challenge the Paradigm in relation to Gender Stereotypes. I'll give Nephew FF his pink elephant when he visits in April.
Yesterday I wore this Anna Sui number to the Coalface. I found it in Hong Kong near Sogo in Causeway Bay a few years ago.
I had lunch with Willow and N. There was a really good feel yesterday because everyone was excited about the Easter Holidays
Here's Our Willow
And here's our N. She's wearing a Red Phoenix Emporium necklace too (let's face it, who isn't these days?)

After work I met some friends and Mr FF for some soothing We-don't-have-to-go-to-work-til Tuesday drinks. Mr FF was wearing Play Clothes
His Gourmet Traveller had been delivered. Cannot wait to read this.
They say you can't fight City Hall, but there's nothing to stop you looking at it while you have a few soothing cocktails.
Don't lose sleep wondering what easter eggs I'm having-I love these little Darrel Lea eggs. The tiffany blue is particularly fetching. My friend ZZ gave me this Royal Winton dish in 2005. Love it. I am getting chocolated out. Already.
The lovely Carly from Tune into Radio Carley sent me one of those things where you have to list 10 things that make you happy. Mine are all boringly predictable.
Mr FF. Enough said. My best friend and Partner in Crime.
Gardening. Good for the Soul, therapeutic, creative, rewarding and fun. It teaches you Patience. I love it that you can plant a cutting and that it will grow roots and leaves. Magic. Why are Gardeners are always the nicest people?
Cooking. I love to cook for myself and for others (because as everyone knows, Food is Love). Cooking is a fantastic creative outlet and is always incredibly soothing in times of stress.
Niece FF. I find everything she does enchanting. She's in London over easter tripping the light fantastic with her parents and getting her locks cut at Trotters. Can't wait to see the photos.
Books. I've always loved books and been a voracious reader. I feel sad when I am coming to the end of a really good novel. The day American Vogue arrives is pretty happy too.
The Beach. There's nothing I don't love about the beach. I love the sun, the surf, walking along it, the shells, hell, I even like it when it rains. I only wish sunbaking and tanning was good for you....
Travelling overseas. I love to travel, and I don't even mind the long haul flights. I've had some of the best times of my life overseas on holiday. I especially love the People watching, the shopping, the buildings and the food. I wonder when I'll go next?
Going out to Dinner Lunch and Brunch. I love socialising and I love eating beautiful food.
My wardrobe. Call me shallow, but I've devoted a big chunk of my adult life, energy and money to it. I love having so many options in relation to what to wear and I love the creative and visual aspects involved with getting it to where it is.
My Friends. You know who you are. I spent a lot of my 30s as a single woman and my family are scattered to all corners of the world so in a way my friends became my family. I love laughing and chatting with them. Their company and loyalty make me feel very happy indeed.
I gift this to the smart and entertaining Lisa at Privilege. Lisa, I'm interested in your answers, tell me everything.

How nice are these cordyline leaves?

When you have a blog, people who don't know you make a lot of assumptions about who you are, what motivates you and what your personality is like which are wrong.
I only post snippets of my life. You can't know the truth of someone from a couple of lines of text and a few photos. Most people get this.
For the most part the comments I get about this blog are interesting and written by clever people with something I consider important- A Sense of Humour. I get a lot of feedback about how funny this blog is and how it makes people laugh but I've also realised that some people are simply not in on the Joke. And frankly, this is an Issue for Them not Me.
3 blogs I check religiously are Make Do Style, Goddamit I'm Mad and Une Femme D'uncertain Age. I like them for different reasons but the writers are smart interesting and importantly for me, entertaining and often make me laugh. These are tough economic times People. I like to be amused.
My expensive high end pink Villeroy and Boch cutlery sends it's love and wishes you a Happy Easter.

43 comments:

  1. FF you are the ultimate High End to beat all High Ends and I will gladly answer all your questions. As this appears to be award/tag season in the blogosphere I will need to merge this with some other memes but you are the High End and I work well with authority so I will execute like nobody's business. BTW, have I told you lately how much I love your blog? And have you ever watched Absolutely Fabulous even though you are a Mere Baby in addition to being High End?

    Off to watch a children's movie about a singing Frog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true about gardeners...they DO tend to be such nice people!

    And thank you for the shout out. Humor is right up there with shelter, food and sleep. I'm glad I can add a little of it to your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear FF,

    Firstly I have to say that I love the pic of your pretty hand and nail polish perfectly matching the pink rose. That's a beautiful, frame-worthy photo...I'm not kidding!

    Secondly I'm reallly cuted out by not only the pink elephant but the fact that you're giving it to your nephew. This is something I would do. Case in point, my beloved snooty apricot poodle is a boy but has a girl's name (on purpose because he's my girly boy) and wears a pink collar with a matching pink diamante leash. I'm not saying your nephew is a girly boy...am saying that boys just might like pink too! Who is to say they don't??

    And on to Mr FF's play clothes. I am a tad strange because I prefer play clothes to work clothes and this shirt of Mr FF's just tickles my fancy. I so wish Mr Tracy would wear something like that but sadly, it's blues and greens all the way....pinstripes or plaid. Ho-hum.

    Just want to say that I for one totally get that we can never know you just from a page a day you post here! Can I just say thank you for the FREE, quality entertainment. I hope you never, ever stop. Yours is the only blog that has its own "button" on my tool bar.

    What is your relationship with food? Is it love/hate or only love?? Do you ever binge eat? Evvvverrrr? You know they say one has to choose between her face or bum after a certain age? Well I'm nearly 36 and I've chosen my face. Ha!

    Your life looks so fun and interesting I almost wish we could swap. Finally I have to say you are my hair idol. When it grows out do you have gray roots or brown? I'm thinking gray would be much easier to blend. I'm just asking because I have some gray at my temples and I just can't seem to find the best colour to use because half my hair is naturally brunett but I have lots of natural blonde streaks too. Going all blonde results in dark roots but going blonde hides the gray much better.

    Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pink elephant! My brother challenged the paradigam by having a Barbie bus, I had a cement mixer and a garbage truck. Kids don't see things the adult way, it's all play, play, play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only like hu-mour-us blogs, too.

    That's "humourus" pronounced "HU-MOWER-OUS" because I'm a Yank who finds Brit spelling oh so fetching.

    LPC is a quality read indeed. I'm sure she'll rise to the occasion.

    (Who's a bit drunk on Maunday Thursday? Moi.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter to you and yours FF xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear FF agree with Tracy re roses and nails post. Talk about co ordinated.
    My sister is obsessed with baby Elephants too! Do you know the original name for the miracle elephant was Mr Shuffles! Now he has been given
    a very lovely Thai name but we love calling him Mr Shuffles!
    I don't like chocolate eggs but adore the colour of the DL ones. What's inside?

    Love Mr FF's play shirt can you share the label? Like Mr Tracy Mr K shirts tend to be in the checked genre a la Teddy Ruxpin's waist coat and it drives all of the household mad. I think he might like the stripe look though.

    Totally agree on the assumptions people make based on a few comments here and there. As a social scientist I know that for some people there perceptions are based on their own dysfunctional personalities or coloured by the dis-satisfaction of their own lives but I still find it so fascinating. I know it is care factor zero for you what judgments people make of you or your blog but gosh the blog world is a psychological wonder land for those interested in such things.
    Have a happy Easter. Off to make your yogurt cake with fresh peaches for my Good Friday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here, here - lots of chuckles and oohs and aahs with the FF blog! So much about people's reactions (good and bad) is about them, how they choose to feel. I am guilty of this at times and have to remind myself when i'm feeling something, that it's not about anybody else but me.

    I really love Willow's polka dot top! I'm sure you all turned a lot of heads at lunch.

    And I am VERY happy to say that very soon I will have my own Red Phoenix Emporium necklace - the lady Melbourne one. I ordered it online today and let them know where I heard all about them :)

    Mr Lah, a bag of Lindt bunnies and I are heading to the river to spend Easter sunday with the Lah parents and siblings. I suspect i'll over do it with the hot cross buns this easter, but we have a guilt free pass this weekend right?

    If I had your garden, I don't think I would ever leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These DL eggs look really interesting!
    are they chocolate inside?
    i think i need to get Ds family some sort of easter present thing for sunday. i am assuming thats the done thing at an easter lunch or is that only for the kids in the morning? im clueless.
    Ds mum gave me some figs from the tree yesterday and i have to use them too.
    i hope you have done a post on figs.
    i will go look now.
    plz tell your friend willow that her polka dot shirt with chanel cuff combination is amazing.
    i am v jealous.
    and please tell the pink cutlery i said happy easter :D !!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cotton, they are great in salads and on top of fragipane tarts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi FF,

    Tell Mark and Greg I NEED to see more of their house. I agree with you that gardeners always seem to be so nice. I guess it's the sharing of the information that they love. I like that you are giving nephew a pink toy. My middle son (the one whose middle name is Blake) had a pink blanket that he absolutely adored until he was about 6 or 7. I still have it. I don't know how you found me, maybe I found you first. But I distinctly remember the night I read you blog, my husband kept asking what I was laughing at!

    ~janet

    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi FF, Happy Easter!! Lovely to have all the flowers. I'm tending to my microscopic garden on the balcony, I have pretty white and pink geraniums blooming as well as the lemon tree.

    Re pink for boys, Mr.Tanya looks smashing in pink, especially when he's tanned.

    Funny, just the other day I thought about what you said, you can't get a full picture about a person from their blog. People who don't get it can be really weird. Don't let it bother you.

    Yesterday I got my "Coco necklace" from Red Phoenix Emporium, I can't wait to wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your nail polish in the gardening pictures, what colour is it?

    Also, love your pink cutlery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi LPC, Thankyou! I love Ab Fab. It was very funny.

    Hi Deja, Humour is Key! I am drawn to funny people and love to make people laugh! My favourite people are amusing in real life so why not embrace that in cyber space.

    Dear Tracey, My relationship with food is probably normal. I love to eat and can binge and be greedy but at other times only eat if I am hungry. I am the heaviest I've ever been but am relatively happy in my own skin.

    Parts of my life are fun and interesting but I don't post snaps of me washing up or mopping or grocery shopping! Also I want the blog to be positive so I don't post negative stuff that might be occuring. Having said that I am pretty happy with my life- it's not perfect but I don't need perfection and it takes very little for me to be happy. A small gesture can sustain me for days.

    Re my hair once you get the grey blonde is key. My natural colour is light brown. I hate regrowth. It is the Devil's Work!

    I agree re the choice between Face or size. Tis true!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mez, my sisters and I owned the barbie bus!!

    Poppy- your line about prising the lipstick from my cold dead hand is my favourite ever!!!! Love all your blogs and love how prolific the posts are. My friend Kate was thrilled that you were posting here as she knows you form another forum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ms FF

    This is my first time corresponding with you but I have come out of the woodwork to tell you that several friends and I uphold you in our esteem as the Most Visionary of Visionaries! We adore your snippets from life, and personally I get a kick out of seeing the various Brisbane landmarks.

    We are all Brisbane Dwellers and hope one day that we can spot you, though we will probably be looking for someone with a partially obscured facial region clad in Pucci and a wicked sense of humour. I do hope we are never disappointed and that you wear a camera-shaped fascinator, a la Lady Gaga (but you're ever so much fancier!)

    Thank you for providing us with such an exemplary role model!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate, the Darrel lea chocs are chocolate inside but candy on the outside and I LOVE them or as my favourite Hungarian would say "I LUFF them" !!! They are Luffable. To the max.

    I've never really thought about the fact that people's perceptions are based on their own dysfunctional personalities....that is 11/10 fascinating, and I think very true.

    I agree that there are a lot of people out there dissatisfied with their lives and it does colour their view of others.

    As my friend L once famously said "No one gets it all". I spose I could be dissatisfied with my life but I choose not to be.

    This year has been challenging. There have been some sad awful times that part of me wants to forget and another part wants to hold close and remember. I'm a believer in forging ahead regardless of what life's thrown at me. My own feelings about certain events will always remain private.

    Anyway the point is, I only show certain aspects of my life on this blog. And if you can't connect emotionally with what you read or see, frankly, that's your problem not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Easter FF! You garden is looking stunning, and I hope you have a lovely (and Visionary!) lunch with your friends on Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Islah, Willow always looks fab and you will love your necklace!

    I broke mine today and am so sad I lierally wore it to death dammit. Will reorder it. My Garden makes me happy. We'ev endured hail, drought, water restrctions, rats, possums snakes...and yet it always fights back. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tanya, yay re the necklace and your tiny garden sounds fab. I love geraniums.

    Janet I will see if I can pop into Mark and Greg's over Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Easter to you and you Villeroy and Boch cutlery!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annooiii it's OPI Pazitively Hot! It does match the rose!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Natalie, I wonder if I will run into you? I like blogs with landmarks too! Say hello if you see me x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I picture your nephew with the pink elephant - such a cutie :-)

    I hope your sister is ok with you posting a picture of the two on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Paula, I will try to get a photo when Nephew FF arrives in the country.

    You are a very loyal poster. Don't think I'm not appreciative and touched because I am. Hope everything worked out with your Mr Paula the other night. I've been trying this thing with Mr FF where I just try to not sweat the small stuff. It kind of works!

    Have a lovely easter, I bet you have superior eggs in Austria.

    Also Paula, how did you find this blog? I've fogotten how I found people and visa versa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very wonderful Easter to you FF and Mr FF... love your Easter Eggs arrangement - is it a Clarice Cliff platter they are on? And Happy Easter also to the pink knives and forks - they look wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Semi Expat sarah,
    It's royal winton not clarice but I LOVE Clarice! Happy Easter to you guys too xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi FF!
    I can tell you how I found your blog since I have a brain like an elephant!

    Back then I planned on getting myself a Hermes scarf and googled. Google works wonders for Blogspot! This is how I found
    you

    Funny thing though, via FF I met the Beauty Boomer who writes, this year is not the year for scarfs but for
    shawls :-)

    Thank you for asking about Mr FF. The full-moon-phase is gone and so are the bad vibes. He is the man who watches the "September Issue" with me and discusses the ads in the March-Issue for breakfast. Nothing more to ask for! :-)

    I end with 1 question: in case you have watched Pushing Daisies: did Charlotte's style touch you? I think it is fresh and colorful. It pleases me.

    I hope you take a look at my pictures (not so many). I send them to you, LPC and Poppy Buxom, my fav' trio on the bloggersphere.

    ReplyDelete
  29. PS: of course its Mr P, not FF >:-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear FF, Happy Easter, your last post inspired me so much I have stuck lots of chicks and bunnies etc on the kitchen wall, Mr B thinks I have gone mad again but Boy 1 and Boy 2 are thrilled as they sense impending chocolate.. you are definitely a life enhancer! Blightyx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Ms FF, I can just about live with the bunnies and chicks, just so long as she does not stick them on my briefcase, Kind Regards Mr Blighty

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the pink cutlery. Very fun!

    www.rosiecampbell.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your "10 things...happy" are enchanting.

    That's an interesting point you make about the assumptions people make based on snippets.

    We all do that though...when I first 'landed' here, goodness knows how, my first thought was oh no, not for me... I love to eat but cannot cook, our garden is [cultivated to be] a wild tropical wonderland, no place for roses, manicures and hairdryers bore me, I have 5 kids, thrive on sport and although my husband has an extensive tie collection too, the idea of matching is just too...Barbie and Ken for me!

    I have a point, bear with me.
    ...at first site :), you're not my type and I know I'm not yours ("assumptions") but I read your blog pretty much every day and I find you... enchanting. Witty, strong and very warm.
    So sometimes, you can know the truth of someone from a couple of lines of text and a few photos...

    Happy Easter.

    Dusk

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have been following your blog for a while and I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy it! I find it very witty and tongue in cheek. I also love your wardrobe! Continue to Challenge the Paradigm.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi FF! I discovered your blog from Sister Wolf's comments.
    I've been thinking about those Crunchie chocolate eggs since you mentioned them. That was my favorite candy bar when I was a kid..I've been looking for them here in Canada.
    No luck yet!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved this post FF. I think that "some people aren't in on the joke" is a metaphor for life. Keep up your great posts with your witty sense of humour, they really bring a lot of joy to a lot of people, myself included!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi FF

    I found your blog on Thursday night and read it from start to finish. Actually, from finish to start as I read each page from top to bottom and kept clicking "Older Posts" to make sure I didn't miss anything. It took me a few hours and I contemplated telling MrSFSC to get a bus home from the city so I didn't have to stop my sitting on my comfortable couch consuming your blog to go and get him. Sure, I have a life, I just choose not to live it at times. ;)

    I like your advice re: not sweating the small stuff when it comes to the relationship. I often get annoyed by miniscule (in the scheme of things) issues after a tough day in the office, forgetting MrSFSC has also had a long hard day at work, and doesn't need me making it worse. So I try to take a step back, give myself a mental-slap-upside-the-head and smile at him instead of saying what I was going to. It helps. So does filling my mouth with wine / food so I can't speak.

    I must mention a few things I discovered through my marathon-FF-blog-reading-session that I admire:
    Quince love - I don't understand people who don't adore quinces. They obviously have underlying issues. Of maybe they just haven't had quince jelly on warm scones, quince paste on mature cheddar, or a quince tart. Either, or.
    Hilltop Hoods - I am v surprised and pleased to see that they form part of your domestic duties soundtrack.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the luffable crunchy shelled eggs. I didn't know DL did those type of eggs, I will have to look out for some this morning.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  38. FF- my life is so entirely different to yours but I love, love, love reading your blog! I love your passion for the simple and important things in life, mainly, your family, your friends, your garden, cooking and last but not least, Mr FF.

    You always brighten up my day!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a particularly fabulous post!

    One thing I like about blogging is that we get to choose what and how much to reveal- you are right, it's just a snippet of who we are, maybe a facet or two.

    Happy Easter, FF! It's a very long public holiday here in the BVI, too. Four days long. So everyone is really happy for that.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. I agree with everyone - the blog is addictive. People are so good at making assumptions and so terrible at understanding Sophisticated Humour. I have chipped nailpolish, am a terrible gardener, but your blog has me aspiring to these things! Honestly, to take it personally says a bit about the old self esteem imo.

    Keep up the good works, I am learning the names of flowers and plants like there is no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello there.

    I am at mum and dad's house, K, and on the way home we saw a heap of alpacas but R didn't have his camera so I couldn't take a photo for you. Dad is currently looking for a friend for Kerry but alas, he had one organised and then it passed unexpectedly. Poor Kerry. He is so lonely.

    Could you please say hello to your v expensive v nice pink cutlery for me? I wanted to discuss thrifty beach house purchasing with it if it has the time in between looking fabulous.

    XX happy easter. I made Sonia ebay purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello Everyone and thanks for all your messages.

    Now a Mum, thanks for that sweet comment.

    Iron Chic, I love reading Sister Wolf's blog she is so funny.

    Blighty and Mr Blighty I like the sound of those chicks!!

    Dusk, this is a very generous thing to say, thankyou.

    So Frenchy that is so Interesting that you read the whole Blog!!!! I've not done it. Was it interesting or boring? Did you like my Holiday Tree???

    Soph it kills me that Kerry Alpaca doesn't have a mate and also that you didn't take an alpaca photo!!! NOOOO!!! I bet your Mum is whipping up some fab easter food for you in her rutal idyll. What Sonia purchase? Tell me!

    I really like looking at blogs that are nothing like my life and I think it's intersting that people like to look at mine. As I sit here and type with polish chipped to buggery from all the cooking and Ham-Handling and gardening, I say Thankyou for reading and Happy Easter.

    Life is hard. Sometimes it's the smallest thing that can sustain you, and if this blog malarky can make someone smile, Good.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I can truthfully say that you have Challenged My Paradigm. Today,for the first time in my life, I reacted with horror to the chipped polish on my middle finger, left hand. (The others were still okay.)

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.