Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Holiday Tree-The Journey Continues.

This is what my plastic, synthetic and nylon faux tree looked like mid-assembly on Friday night. There were Faux Branches ("Franches") as far as the eye could see. I really do assemble the whole thing in October. Usually I'd wait til late October but the mood struck me now, so I thought, why wait? I know it's slightly unusual but I March to the Beat of My Own Drum Christmas Tree Wise
I almost went berserk when I couldn't find this Christmas Fairy decoration because my late Grandma (who died in June this year) made it for me in about 2006 and it is very precious to me. Really the whole tree is just one big sentimental thing for me- most of the ornaments were gifts from people so when I pull them out of storage it's like seeing old friends.
My friend M gave me the Villeroy and Boch ornament thingy to the right and there's a Russian doll whatsy on the left that Zsa Zsa ("Hungarian to the Stars") brought me back from her trip to Moscow.
It's a multicultural tree really.
Meanwhile what's with all this rain? I'm off to build an ark and gather 2 of any animal I can get my mitts on. Good for the garden though.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Ms FF, I had a sleep this arvo so I am now wide awake. You have been very industrious. We have a few of the same Russian dolls for our Christmas tree bought at a famous arts and craft outside market called Ismailova in Moscow. I think you would like it as in addition to lovely Russian things like handpainted coffee cups and saucers and fur hats a la Hermes, there are exotic carpets and ceramics from Central Asia and Soviet memorabilia. However, one learns to shop very efficiently in Winter as being outside when it is below 10 degrees is highly unpleasant. Are you following the mineros' story? I am holding my breath....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda every time I see footage of the miners (hours away from freedom!) I think of you. Pls email me yr email address at fauxfuchsia@live.com.au so we can make arrangements for December pronto x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you have had rain (but as you said, good for FF garden) - have to report sunshine all weekend here in Melboure! However, I guess it has helped you stay in and get the rest of the franches on the Christmas tree. Will it stay au naturelle for a while or will it be full steam ahead decoration wise as soon as it is ready? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear S,
    It was completely decorated as of yesterday afternoon! I am slowly eeking out the photos!!! Friends have been popping in today to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we can safely assume by your previous post (the imitators) that you've got your blogging shutspa back. Good for you. I find your whole October tree thing intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest FF
    I love reading your blog and a haven't commented for a while but have to say I am glad you have come through your mid blog crisis!
    The humour and tongue in cheek tone is what I love! I check your site every other day and am almost quite sad when there are no new ones..
    Keep up the good work,
    Much love
    Margie N x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting for final version to have a Visionary moment xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Margie N,
    Hello! And thankyou! I aim to please! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your rug. I think it deserves its own close-up shot.

    D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hauled it back from Dubai in 2004. We've been very happy D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FF,
    I can't wait for a shot of the completed holiday tree. Please post asap for some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious! My Nordic fur comes in on Christmas Eve, German style!
    But I do decorate outside with plants from the first of December to make myself feel cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi ff,

    i'm sure your tree is going to be magnificent.

    while lying in bed last night i was thinking about your blog and your lingo. here's the thing, remember when i first met you and you had to decipher what all your words meant? i even had to do a little shout out to you and your way with words. well, people can say these words if they want but they don't have the verve that you attach to them. so it's like we are singing along to a song on a radio, your phrases are so catchy, they are infectious, which doesn't sound nice, but it is.

    ~janet

    i hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the suspense! Can't wait to see the decorations. I'll send a picture of my (also faux) tree when I put it up. But my Christmas comes next year - orthodox religion, eastern folk, etc. Oh, and don't mind the copy-cats - as someone said, they can never be as good as the original! Luff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear FF, v impressed by Christmas tree action; here I am just coming to terms with fact that Halloween is approaching, which has become Big in Uk now. When I was a child Guy Fawkes night was the bigger thing, celebrating the failure of plot to topple gov and gory execution, after some nasty torture, of conspirators, so much more child appropriate..

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband is so anti Christmas tree. But we have no room for one anyway... maybe soon :(

    I'm up in Brissy this coming weekend, woohoo.. Valentino exhibit on Friday here I come!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. please tell me you crazy-aussies celebrate christmas in october??? your tree is already up?! and, now I must know.... how long do you keep it up after xmas is over?!

    may i be the first to wish you a "merry christmas!"
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the faux tree action. We usually go real (I adore the smell) but this year being an away Christmas means we won't get a tree. I'm thinking i might invest in a good quality faux option for the years when it is not feasible to go real. I'm thinking about wrapping my presents next week...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to be a bit off topic here, but Blighty 's comment really has me thinking about Halloween and the sad fact is that I would love Halloween if I was in in America, but in Australia - I Do Not Approve. Am I just being a Wet Blanket?

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.