
Oh for God's sake enough is enough. When will it stop
torrentially raining? Everything is swamped in the garden, flash flooding is happening all over the traps and everything feels damp and smells damp. Sometimes it's so heavy it seems like the
roof'll cave in.

Little rivers are everywhere. But it could be worse: when the poor people of St George were allowed back home they found their houses destroyed, overtaken by maggots (crosses self) and faced with plagues of mosquitoes and
sandflies (Shudder). I know. We really are living in the Old Testament. And not in a good way where manna falls from heaven either.

So during these Difficult Times, my focus as always is on Domestic Minutiae. Which can be pretty soothing and comforting. Plus I can't garden and I'm too worn out for much else.

Clean ironed sheets are always cheering.

My Old Simpson upside down wall mounted tumble dryer (circa 1990) runs 24/7. I live in fear she'll stop working. I love her. My friend M doesn't own a dryer. How anyone can action washing in this weather without one is beyond me.

and this little darling was worth his weight in humidity sucking Gold my Friends. My
dehumidifier is my favourite appliance these days. It is frightening how much mildew and mould causing moisture he sucks from the air.

and other weapons in my arsenal are scented candles but they are all almost down to their wicks dammit. Note to self- buy more. Fast.

I used to worry about black soot on the ceiling but frankly that's the least of my worries now.
Meanwhile tonight I actioned a pseudo healthy warm salad to go with my roast chook they had eggplant, capsicum, zucchini, red onion and cannelli beans. It was deadset tasty.

And in the spirit of Actioning Domestic
Minutiae I did some ironing in front of the news while I watched the flood damage coverage. I've got a new iron now. It's pink. It was cheap. So far so good.

And since so many people are trapped indoors with this rain and are Embracing
Decluttering with every cell and fibre of their being, I give you some Inspiration from the
FF Decluttering Archive. I hope it makes you as happy looking at these organised images as it did me.
Enjoy!

can't you just feel your heart rate lowering?


Remember -the less stuff you have the freer you feel and it's much easier to keep things tidy and clean. Plus being surrounded by the evidence of past mistakes is not good for the soul.

My hot water system (located outside, surrounded by dense jungle like foliage, really hard to access) abruptly stopped working and in torrential rain my 88 year old Grandfather braved the mud and elements to see if he could sort it out for me. When he couldn't Mr FF took over with instructions being given over the phone from my dad in the country. It was a Team Effort and now we have hot water. Small mercies indeed.
Try and Stay Dry.
God only knows how I'll reach the Coalface with my hair in tact tomorrow. Thank God I keep a Back Up Emergency hairdryer in my office for such events.
xxxxxxxxxx
'"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan'. I think this poem sums up nicely our drought and now floods. On Boxing day, the day before we left on holiday, our dryer started smoking! Pretty sure it's not meant to do that. So Saturday night was spent at the laundromat with nearly two weeks worth of wet laundry! Will be calling the service centre first thing tomorrow morning.
ReplyDeleteBelated congratulations on your pregnancy.
Suzanne
Arrrghhh as a fellow Brisbanite, I have to agree this rain is definitely testing our patience and is just dampening the spirits. When will we ever see sun again?!! I am also burning candles to relive the house of the damp-i-ness and I recommend the Wild Cherry L'Occitane perfum candle, it smells divine and it's also pink!!
ReplyDeleteDear FF, I find the pics of your neatly ordered linens shoes and frocks very soothing indeed, thank you! Your grandad sounds a total star and well done to Team FF on sorting out the hot water. Having no hot water is one of my biggest fears !! xx
ReplyDeleteThankyou for the shoe photo: I'm drooling at your collection, they're divine! And I love your wardrobe with the empty floor space below- that is calming- what a luxury!
ReplyDeleteWe've had that kind of rains, here in California. They do start to feel biblical. We always wind up making Noah references. That is, until houses start sliding down hills. It's been a fairly apocalyptic set of weather actions all around the globe. I hope your area dries up before your roses suffer too much. I am not, however, unduly concerned about your loveliness, despite hair frizz:).
ReplyDeleteFF we have had torrential rain too but not as disastrous as yours...
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying the view of your shoe and bag storage and neat as a pin linen closet.
I have that iron in baby blue...
I wonder if you will have a girl with your love of pink :)
So nice to see the rose in bloom all we have here are rose hips and spring is months away.
Sterling stuff all round in defiance of the elements. Your Grandfather is tops xx
ReplyDeleteThank you FF for the blog search box. I really do need your soothing words to help me get rid of stuff. Perhaps you would consider a Decluttering Bootcamp post to assist hopeless cases like myself? We are not all blessed with your iron will to declutter. I am so impressed that you iron your sheets. It makes me feel so lazy and I didn't think I was that bad at my domestic goddess tasks. Compared to your 11/10 I would only get 5/10. There's room for improvement then. Thank you for being inspiring in the extreme.
ReplyDeleteDear Ms FF, I watched the flood appeal last night and felt very sad for the people of Queensland. I had not realised that for some people this was the second time in 10 months and wonder at their resilience. Then, however bad it was already, it was still raining and Eddie McGuire had to say that the Bruce highway was cut owing to even more flooding. It is simply incomprehensible and that was before you introduced the maggot image into my impressionable brain. I am very glad to hear that owing to the efforts of the men of your family you are not without hot water. I skyped Mr LiC to say that I was very pleased that we had not been in your predicament as then we would have had to call a Professional. Why oh why are our husbands not as handy as our dads?
ReplyDeleteThis salad isn't jusst pseudo healthy but looks healthy! I have a hairdryer in my office, too! Since I am the "What if ..." kind of woman. What if it rains ... Hope it stops raining, glad you are still sane! Not easy not to lose one's mind ...
ReplyDeleteOh FF
ReplyDeleteI am just watching the news. The floods are moving onward.
I hope you are all safe in Brisbane.
Take care
SSG xxx
Sydney Shop Girl blog
God bless your 88 year old grandfather. He sounds like a trooper. xx
ReplyDeleteDecluttering truly is liberating and you have inspired me to press on with more cupboards and my wardrobe. There is nothing like that thrill of opening the linen cupboard the first time after you redo it, heaven!!
ReplyDeleteIt feels like the rain will never stop :( It's so hard to dress nicely in this weather, especially in regard to shoes. Also, I don't have a dryer.
ReplyDeleteI am starting to count the animals two by two!
ReplyDeleteThis rain is something else. I usually adore rainy weather, but it is even starting to get me down. Ithaca creek is just outside my front door, it is a raging torrent now, instead of its usual dried up stagnant self. The dog is permanently wet and stinky and in a very cross mood, he is just sitting at the front door throwing me baleful looks. Blames me for the rain. Alarmingly, the old man across the road just told me to watch out for snakes. Yipes, I won't be venturing out today. Can't complain though considering the rest of the state has it much, much worse.
ReplyDeleteI am among the ranks who lives tumble dryer-free. It is difficult to say the least. I do have an undercover clothes line but when it is 100% humidity and the rain is coming in horizontally it is not much help. At the moment our house looks like a dry cleaner's shop with shirts and clothes hanging everywhere. I baked a pie yesterday and put the clothes airer in front of the oven as it was cooking which helped a bit. The clothes all smell a bit like a pie but I see that as a bonus. I think more baking will be in order for today. That, and a bit of decluttering. Your pictures have inspired.
Hope the 'do survives the day. And your shoes... do you wear a separate pair of shoes in to work so that your beautiful heels don't get ruined?
Re: vocal loathing of Horror Of Maternity Clothes - you must try isabellaoliver.com A little pricey but SO WORTH IT. Sale stuff on the site is better priced. Also Dorothy Perkins (UK site) ships internationally and very reasonably priced FASHIONABLE ITEMS. Good for basic tees. Do not shop in Brisbane maternity shops again. They are beyond distasteful.
ReplyDeleteI have been spurred on in the decluttering stakes by your soothing images. I'm thinking it might be time for some toy decluttering. Perhaps some storage boxes in the top of the children's wardrobe so I can easily alternate the toys, they seem to breed like rabbits!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love that you have a hairdryer i your office, genius!
Sensational use of the term deadset in the adjectival sense, I have to say. I have been loving the rain up until 7pm last night. Am officially over it. And now a little bit frightened. This morning was scary rain.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, it sounds like things are getting dire. I complain about the frequently dry air here, but I don't think I could take that kind of humidity 24/7. Thank the electronics Gods for trusty appliances!
ReplyDeleteYour decluttering pics are truly inspirational. I've been On A Tear decluttering around here lately. Your pics of your little saucers of jewelry inspired me to clear out my vanity/hutch area in the closet, and I picked up some lovely Cheap sushi plates for my Crown Jewels, and a bamboo lotion dispenser. It's Very Zen in there now.
I love the folded, ironed linen. I'm a stickler for keeping our wardrobe like that, but TERRIBLE at keeping our linen cupboard gorgeous. You've inspired me to do a de-clutter this afternoon.
ReplyDeletehi ff,
ReplyDeleteyou must be getting the rain that we just got rid of. stay dry dearest.
i love all your organization - it makes me happy.
xo
janet
Seriously, I cannot take this anymore either. Heading into the city today was horrendous, the traffic was at a standstill with the torrential rainfall making visibility near impossible. Glad you got your hot water sorted, cold showers aren't really needed right now are they? I really missed not having summer this year, it is my most favourite season. You Try and Stay Dry Too, Cheers Robyn
ReplyDeleteContributing to the biblical theme, we have a plague of locusts down south.
ReplyDeleteFF-I feel you pain. I live in Coolum, and cannot handle more rain! Everything is wet or damp. Even my tiles and furniture feel damp. We had 160mm just yesterday. That's on top of a few days of rain, and on top of a few wet months. I don't know how the water will every all dry up-such big puddles and new lakes. I have been borrowing your Old Testament references-properly referenced of course.
ReplyDeleteI am also dreading when the sun comes out and it finally warms up-the humidity and mozzies will kills me!
Luckily I've had some indoor projects-sanding and painting a (free) dressing table come desk and decluttering my boxes of teaching materials. But these are nearly done, and I can feel myself slowly going stir crazy...
But for all my complaining, at least we don't have it as bad as they do elsewhere in Qld.
Just saw the horrific devastation going on in Toowoomba. This is frightening! The image of the three people stranded on their four wheel drive will stay etched in my memory.
ReplyDeleteOh our usual weather is endless rain, it wears you down. It's just started here this morning and i have two buckets out as we need a whole new roof - I may have to sell a kidney and my shoe collection to pay for this.
ReplyDeleteLook at you ironing - I don't even own one, nothing makes me lose my temper like ironing!
I got a lovely giggle out of this post! Even if the weather isn't playing ball, at least your sense of humour is very dry!
ReplyDeleteI am trying so hard FF to declutter but I am so attached to my stuff. I will be strong though I have a suitcase of pre-loved things that I am going to the markets. As they say my trash could be someone else's treasure. ps love the blog x
ReplyDeleteI hope you stay dry and safe now that the awful, torrential rain has headed south. Thinking of all Queenslanders at this trying time and praying it all settles down ASAP!
ReplyDeleteI.Am.Over.It. This ridiculous rain I mean. Today I went to Woolies for 3 more moisture absorber thingies and the young man had to go out back for a new carton cause he said as soon as he unpacks a box they are snapped up. We are suffering mouldy shoes, clothes, everything is damp and my dryer is ready to have a meltdown. My first Simpson dryer lasted about 22yrs but this one I have now is not a patch on my old one cause manufacturers just don't make appliances like they used to.
ReplyDeleteTonight I watched the news only to see awful scenes from Toowoomba with flash flooding literally coming out of nowhere. I feel so sad for everyone affected.
My hair is the pits, frizz wise.
xx