Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sequins Are So Not Over.


 As if I didn't have enough to deal with today I received an email with the title  (crosses self) 
Sequins are Over.
Were they trying to Kill Me?
Everyone knows Sequins won't ever be over. Because Sequins are Key. They distract the eye from a collapsing face, they're calorie free and frankly I am unprepared to live without them.
So today I dragged myself down to the wildly expensive Topshop and sourced these chartreuse shorts arrangements and then I went to Ally and bought this sparkletatsic top. 
My blood pressure dropped pretty much immediately. 
Meanwhile the FF Garden has produced these:
and I wheeled out the original FF necklace from Red Phoenix today when I hauled my sub optimal self to the Coalface.
In exciting news the world's best younger sister has had a red letter day today. Happy Birthday!
Say what you will about us, we had Good Hair in the mid 70s.
 Here she is 36 years ago with her cat cake from the Women's Weekly Cookbook made by our Mum:
 This is us in Hong Kong in maybe 2007 or 2008. 
We were listening to Van Halen's Why Can't This Be Love?
 Even though she only ever wears black and white we have tonnes in common. The Toddler adores her and I so wish  we could have been together today. Maybe at Zuma. With a Sevva chaser. God I miss Honkers
Anyway, Happy Birthday!
It's going to be 31 degrees on Christmas Day. Don't think it's going to stop us roasting a turkey with all the trimmings. I do the stuffing. The key ingredient, (apartment from pine nuts, onions, garlic, brown bread crumbs, parsley, bacon, lemon zest) is dried apple. Trust me on this. We stole the idea from (genuflects) Maggie Beer.
 Hello Darling
 Hugh's Mummy has been reading all the comments on the last 2 posts and has been moved to tears by everyone's kindness, understanding and support.
If you'd like to read about Hugh's brave journey with Alpers Syndrome ( a cruel life limiting condition for which there is no cure) this is the link. If you scroll to the end of the linked page you can "like" Hugh's Facebook too "Tour for Alpers". So far the family have raised over $3000! Hooray!
I'm not often jealous, but My Aunt D and Uncle L have just been to Whitehorse in Canada where they took this fabulous snap of the Northern Lights!
Can you believe it? I remember a doco where Joanna Lumley went there to see them. So jealous! 
I'm announcing the Winner tomorrow night of of my high end giveaway. Run Don't Walk.
xxxxx

33 comments:

  1. Great outfit! I had a look in Kookai earlier this week and they are loaded up with sequins. You can sleep easy sequins are still going strong. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sequins are outside of fashion and therefore classic and can never be over.

    Your iceberg roses are beautiful. I need some in my own garden.

    I have always wanted to see the northern lights. When I was a child I read the encyclopaedia for fun and that's where I discovered the northern lights. It must be amazing to see. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Turkey looks delish. Would you believe I can't seem to order a boned rabbit anywhere in Melbourne? Nightmare.

    Mum has posted me a plum pudding (homemade)and some mince pies and pink biscuits (shortbread filled with jam and pink icing) from the bakery at home. They are the best mince pies. I can't wait to shovel them in.
    Garden is looking fab and happy birthday to your sis xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nasty email- did you know the person?
    Hope you feel better soon.
    When it comes to style, it is important that people march to the beat of their own drum, I think.
    Fashion is fleeting,style is forever.
    You, dear lady, are stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello.

    (This in the hopes that I'm not too late in the running for Fabulous FF Annual Sweepstakes)

    Keep well. Sequins are so not over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your sister! I admire her commitment to monochrome. Sequins can't be over, I just bought a young friend sequinned leggings for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi FF
    I so hope sequins are not over I will surely cry.

    You are wonderful for raising awareness of Alpers syndrome - your blog whilst it may not pretend to be about world peace is definitely educational.

    Hope your sis has a fab birthday & your Christmas prep is under control. My menu still to be finalised, yikes

    All the best to you & yours this festive season.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  8. I luffed that Joanna Lumley doco. Also WTF re sequins being over? Total sacrilege *crosses self and flicks holy water basically all over the place*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many weirdos out there, you are our version of the Snow Queen but you are warm hearted and live in a sequin palace and throw out handles of sequins to brighten everyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sequins cannot be over - they are practically a neutral. The cat is currently sporting a be-sequinned Christmas collar. Caitlin from Canberra x

    ReplyDelete
  11. FF sequins are definitely not over. I only have one item in my wardrobe covered in sequins and it is still one of my favourite dresses - I wore it on my hens night a few years ago. Wonderful news about how much has been raised for Hugh's family's charity. Turkey looks good and so do the Northern Lights - that is one thing I definitely want to see in my lifetime...we missed it by only weeks when we went to Iceland, so I would love to go back one day. Have a lovely Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im with Theresa. Sequins are outside of fashion and therefore classic. Glad you jollied yourself along with a purchase of sequins. This was a sensible plan! And chartreuse is a phenomenal colour. Love it. The snaps with your sister are gorgeous. Cute pies. Thankyou again for getting the word out there re Hugh!! Grass roots is where its at! And thankyou again to everyone for their amazing support and kind comments. Unbelievably kind. And gorgeous.
    Thankyou xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bollocks. 'Tis the season for Sequins! The person who sent you that email should be prosecuted for invoking scurrilous lies and crimes against high fashion.

    Happy birthday to your little sis. Those old photos of the two of you are some of the sweetest sister photos I've seen. It's nice to have a sibling that you're close to.

    We're actioning a turkey too, using Jamie Oliver's recipe for the turkey and the gravy. Might try that recipe of yours for the stuffing, anything by (whispers in awe) Maggie Beer, ought to be spectacular!

    Hooray for the Tour for Alpers fundraising for beautiful Hugh. Bless you FF for spreading the word xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please, please don't pick me to win your giveaway ... I have not commented today for that reason ... I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog ... particularly the comments. Often when I am sad about a world event (such as the tragic killing of that beautiful Korean girl in Brisbane recently), your blog reminds me that me there are many wonderful people in this world that far out way the bad ones. Merry Christmas to you, Mr FF and your little boy. I hope all have a very special day and a fantastic 2014!!!
    Nik xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sequins are sublime...ignore the haters! Loved the pics of you and your sis through the years! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh sequins have been on the scene since the 1920's...I plan to wear mine this holiday season. The Xmas tree is not the only one wearing sparkles.
    My husband and I have seen the northern lights here in a Victoria! It was a summer eve and the weather must have been just right because it was amazing. The colours really do dance across the sky. It sounds odd but it's true.
    We could use a little of that heat here to take the chill off....brrr it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so kind and gorgeous. And cute and funny. No wonder we love you so. xoxoxox.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the sequins with the shorts! Sequins will always be chic! Happy birthday to your sis. Such cute pics..Great idea stuffing recipe with pine nuts!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! Put my vote with the others: like leopard print, sequins are "beyond" fashion and are definitely classic, so *exhale*, all is well. :) And thank you so much for adding me to your blogroll! Yes, many a folk have popped on over to take a look chez moi, which is lovely and veddy veddy much appreciated. I know that we have quite a few mutual friends in common (I miss the Hattatts) but I didn't know that you read Lost in Arles. A lovely surprise.
    Have finally belatedly signed up to follow...
    And ring those Christmas bells!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't live in a world without sequins!!!!! We must fight the good fights!

    Happy Birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ha, I love that Van Halen song! (and Van Halen's catalogue in general). I have been known to belt out Why Can't This Be Love on road trips. Oh I love the Northern Lights, I haven't seen them in awhile but I'll never forget seeing them one night after my nephew was born, this would have been in 2001. I was going home in the evening, driving on the highway and the sky had the most spectacular green northern lights. I'll never forget that, it was glorious. Haven't seen anything close to that since!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well I knew you couldn't have penned the title sentence so all is right with the world.

    Your sister also has great teeth , lucky things

    ReplyDelete
  23. whoops realised I completely re read the opening sentence ...too early what am i doing up ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sequins can't be over -- I've just recently hopped on the sequin bandwagon and I'm never getting off! I saw the northern lights for the first time in northern Michigan last year. Beautiful! Aren't sisters great? Mine lives far away too. Good news about money raised for Hugh. What a beautiful little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sisters are the best.
    Bet you miss yours heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sequins are timeless.

    I hope you have a fabulous Christmas.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday to your sister. Sequins over???? It's only the beginning. And I suppose next someone will be taking issue with the kaftan! Your turkey sounds delish. I'm in charge of turkey at our early family Christmas celebration. Will be sure to get some dried turkey. Your roses are so pretty. Good to see the FF garden is coming out on top against the vermin.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely cheery post. Love all the sequins and colour. Stuffing sounds fabulous. Also loved the Joanna Lumley doco of the Northern Lights.
    Suddenly feeling very sad this morning - have just received an email from one of the dear friends I stayed with after the Garden Tour (the one whose mother was a composer) - she's just found out that her husband's cancer has returned and this time there's no hope and nothing much they can do. A lovely man. We had such good times together in June. So pleased that I had that opportunity to spend time with them both when he seemed well and we were all so happy. Her good news was that her younger daughter is engaged and planning her wedding. I guess life just goes on. But difficult sometimes at Christmas. Pammie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. YES, now I remember that JL doco. It was gr8! I'm sure sequins would be full of calories. That outfit is so QLD. It's funny what looks just right when it's hot & sunny.
    I've been stuffing a turkey since 1980 (big job) Always use the Womens Weekly Cookbook recipe by popular demand & use the WWC for pud & hard sauce too. Do you sew the turkey together? I think I just skewered it last year. can never remember. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i am not much of a sequins wearer myself but i do appreciate the glamour and sparkle of them for others. I AM however a huge fan of glitter, and like to throw it liberally on my food (edible of course) and have it sparkling around in the form of tinsel and xmas decos. Long live the glittery, sparkly sequiny things of this world! and i hope you feel better soon..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bah humbug to the sequin terminators. Sequins belong everywhere & I mean everywhere. Wore sequin top & shorts to my gorgeous girl's dance concert 2 weeks ago. Same sequin top worn 4 years ago to my beautiful boy's sports birthday party!!! Wearing caftan with sequins as I type. Hope Hugh's mum has lots of sequins as I'm happy to supply them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.