Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Sub-optimal


 My Fictitious housekeeper, Mrs Danvers, is beside herself with grief because little Joan Fontaine, who she absolutely loved tormenting at Manderley has died. 
I know. 
It's the end of an era. God only knows how Old Danny will fill her days now. 
Anyway, she's rounding the troops up and organising a high end fancy pants wake. Everyone on the side bar's going. Karl's doing the flowers. It's sure to be Beautiful.
 In sad pre Christmas news 70% of the household appears to be what can only be described as Sick. Could the Timing be any worse?
 Anyone bought any heavily discounted Oscar de la Renta from the outnet yet? I'm not going to, but I'm happy to live vicariously through your purchases. Tell me everything (H I'm looking at you!)
And in very happy news, Hugh's Mum has told me that Hugh's site to raise funds and awareness for Alpers Syndrome has raised (drumroll) $2300 since yesterday!! Hooray!
Gorgeous Hugh's not feeling so well today. Fingers and toes he's on the mend soon.
Alpers Syndrome is cruel. It has no cure and is life limiting.
If you'd like to read about Hughie's journey or donate some money, this is the link. 
Stay well. 
xxxx
PS we will be announcing the winner to our high end fancy pants 4th birthday giveaway this week. It's not too late to enter.
Just leave me a comment.
Doesn't need to be amusing or anything.
x

50 comments:

  1. I donated yesterday and I hope that people continue to do so. I'd never heard of Hugh's condition until you mentioned it. I can't give him a hug, but I could send some dollars, so I did :-) Hope he's feeling more chipper tomorrow. And all those chez FF too, of course! Your tree looks AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello darling, I think you were my 1st commit yesterday about Hugh? I think awareness is key. Thanks for your lovely wishes xxxx

      Delete
  2. Oscar de la Renta sale - goody! Asos also has a 50% off sale too! Fabulous work on the fundraising so far, your blog reaches many x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear the FF household is sick. Sending healthy wishes your way and hope you are all back to good health soon.
    As the mother of a daughter who suffered epileptic seizures for many years, my heart goes out to little Hugh and his family. Best I can do is send some $$$ his way. Nothing worse than a sick little child - it breaks my heart.
    In the spirit of FF, I am decorating my Christmas tree like a mad woman - you can hardly see the tree...you would be proud of me. Have also been decluttering but more needs to be done after I finish the tree.
    Always luff reading your posts, brightens my day.
    Luff to you and the FF family.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seizures are dreadful I hope your daughter is ok. Good for you re the decorating. Go hard or go home Lorraine x

      Delete
  4. Nothing worse that being sick smack bang in the middle of Christmas and summer - here's to a speedy recovery for you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I teach literature and general knowledge too, but when Joan Fontaine died, did I think of Mrs du Maurier ? Nooo, I thought that you'd be sure to write about it in your blog ! Wouldn't it be fun if you were in the curriculum ? XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to have raised so much into little time! Must be really a great feeling to use the blog to good causes :)

    Ps had a giggle bc that was the first thing I thought when I read Oscar was on sale, what is H going to get! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for rallying the troops for that little boy.
    I have my eye on the green Oscar earrings on Net a Porter but nowhere to wear them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi FF, sorry to hear you're feeling sub par at the moment. Hopefully you will all be recovered in time for the big day! I have tried several times to comment but my google account is not playing! I have been luffing the dedication to detail in the run up to the big day - have been loving the sequins. Am currently recovering from surgery and your blog has been a welcome diversion. We currently have gale force winds here in SW UK and I am in terror of my prelit Christmas wreath being whipped off the front door, but am loathe to remove it - feel I mustn't give in to weather terror!! Wishing you and your readers all a very Merry Christmas and all very best wishes for 2014. (Here's hoping I am lucky enough to win something in the draw!!), Karen H (IT informant) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas K and I hope you are on the mend xxx

      Delete
  9. It must be so difficult parenting a child with special needs. In my career working with special needs students we saw lots of struggles with health and a few of them slipped away at far too young an age. My heart grieves for the families. But we must remain optimistic and do what we can and pray that the researchers will find a cure. You are most kind to raise awareness on your blog. Using this forum to help is a wonderful gift.
    Hope too that the illness in The FF Family will take leave promptly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Hostess. I think awareness is a good starting point. Alpers is practically unheard of around these here parts and I really hope that we can help in some way as an online team x

      Delete
  10. We have the lurgy too - even the cat is sneezing and I am so unwell I cat even concentrate on a book. ABC iview is where it is at. Hope you are all better soon. Have been meaning to comment for ages - we were recently on holiday in Langkawi when I thought I spotted you amongst the guests at our resort. Upon closer inspection it became clear it wasn't and my friend Slapdash Mama confirmed that you weren't in Langkawi. Cue disappointment. My husband dubbed the poor woman the "Faux Faux Fuchsia". Merry Christmas and thanks for another wonderful year of your blog, Caitlin from Canberra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear FF, have been following your blog for some time now. Came across it from Jenny at The Lime Walk. Been meaning to write for ages. Luff it. Also madly, deeply, despairingly in luff with Oscar de la Renta. Keep my beady eye on The Outnet weekly to see what is on offer from Oscar. Two beautiful brooches that I am praying will be even more heavily discounted in the post-Christmas frenzy. Fingers (or paws) crossed! Best wishes for a stunning Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear FF, I have been following your blog for some time now. Found it through Jenny at The Lime Walk. Luff it! Have been wanting to write for a while but IPad not helpful for some reason so doing it from a proper computer. Very impressed at the way the FF troops marshall for a good cause. Also completely and despairingly in luff with Oscar de la Renta. He is the primary focus (although there are many secondary foci) of my weekly jaunts through The Outnet virtual racks. Eyeing off two beautiful brooches in the hope they will become even more heavily discounted in the post-Christmas frenzy. Fingers (or paws) crossed! And for Hugh and all of the other children sick at this time of the year. Heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Lime Walk-the gardens are perfection in J's world! The FF troops know a good cause when they see one. Thanks for commenting and good luck with the outnet x

      Delete
  13. ha FF!! I love that your fictitious housekeeper is Mrs. Danvers! You are braver than me -- I want Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show. Hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very brave. Mrs D bullies me esp now that Joan F is gone.

      Delete
  14. Terrible news about the FF household illness. I've had quite a few friends in the last weeks going down with viruses and one friend whose son was so ill he was hallucinating. It is not great timing. I hope little Hugh, your household and everyone else recovers quickly.

    Vale Joan Fontaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vale Joan Fontaine too. We had a sub optimal night maybe today will be better x

      Delete
  15. Hello,

    thanks for raising awareness for Hugh and also the foster kids present drive. I have a daughter who needs medication everyday and has done so since birth and it is a challenge. My heart goes out to Hugh and his family and I wish them all the best, Immy (from Grange) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would say rest up but I don't see that happening...,
    I hope everybody in the house is good and chipper for festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear FF, Merry Christmas to you and your family and may you all be feeling better soon.
    Was so excited to see Nigellissima Christmas Special on ABC Tuesday night. I luff Nigella 11/10 and the whole show was just beautiful. I find her so comforting, especially when she made the Christmas cocktail (had pomegranate juice and ginger ale in it from memory and was a glorious pink colour) Killer kitchen as well.
    Good work in regards to little Hugh, am off to have a look at the site now.
    Cheerio

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi FF,
    Thanks for raising awareness of Hugh's situation. I have lost a little boy through cancer at 4 years. The heartache is unbearable watching your child go downhill - its the exact opposite of seeing them develop and grow. I know that all the people who have donated, read and cared or sent messages, will help the family to know that we all care and they are not alone. Its all we can do. Sending Hugh (with those gorgeous eyes) and his family lots of love. I love that he laughs at people stubbing their toes!!!!
    Hope you family picks up soon. Tonkath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tonkath, That is just so very sad and I cannot imagine the pain and grief you and your family endured. Life can be so cruel. Hugh's mummy reads the comments when she can and I hope she will feel supported too. xxxx

      Delete
  19. Kisses and hugs for Hugh. The blog might not be about world peace but it does open up a community. Is Hugh lucky to have such hopeful parents. I'm off to hug and kiss my kids and donate.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog doesn't make me any money or anything but I keep doing it because I do think that it has fostered an online community which I enjoy being part of .I just knew that the readers would band together and help this little boy and others who have to endure alpers. x

      Delete
  20. iPads are tricky with comments! Tech guy told me when I could only get half comment in. I had never heard of alpers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi FF. I penned about four comments in reply to your Hugh post. It seemed I couldn't find the words for him or his parents. A mix of heartache and love. I'm donating. As a mother I can hardly breathe at the thought of something happening to my little boy, and here are these poor parents having to deal with this. Absolutely heartbreaking. I'm sure they are finding a way to make the most from every day with him.

    Sickness has struck us too, its not too bad though. I'm hoping the weekend and a couple of days free of daycare next week will see us for for christmas. Hope the FF household recover soon too.

    As for purchases I checked out some outnet last night but was a bit disappointed. Frocks in navy, pick and orange weren't up to much.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a mixture of heartache and love....

      Hope you recover soon too, thanks so much for this beautiful comment x

      Delete
  22. It's the very best thing about Christmas. The giving. I used to send out Christmas cards to all my friends and family and now prefer to give the money that I would have spent each year to charity. Thank you bringing sweet Hugh and his dreadful condition to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not too late for the high end giveaway, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joan and Olivia longest sister feud ever?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just donated a bit to Hugh's cause and will shove something on the blog when I can get my act together re:posting. Sorry you are unwell you poor thing. I had a killer migraine at Christmas time last year! Had to have a needle to stop it. THE WORST! Fingers and toes you pick up ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely to see everyone rallying for Hugh. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Faux Fuchsia, I'd just like to say thank for sharing yourself on this blog as generously as you do. For me, reading your posts is like taking a barocca, they are bright and bubbly and makes me feel good. Merry Christmas from Kate

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for raising awareness for Hugh and his family. I thought his mother wrote with a remarkable lack of self-pity and I salute her positive outlook on turning pain into a positive outcome when she must be suffering so. Plus, Hugh is one gorgeous child.

    I am so glad to see your Mrs Danvers post. I went to an amazing museum in Fowey, Cornwall years ago which had a great Daphne du Maurier collection. Love that town and quirky museums in general.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry to hear the lurgy has got you. Our household got it early enough that we are all now recovered and are celebrating Mum's birthday with a high end dinner in a fancy pants Canberra restaurant tonight. Getting a booking was hard work as it appears everyone wants to eat out pre-Christmas.

    Happy to hear about the donations to Hugh, what a cruel condition. Good health can't be valued enough. And on that note I wish you all your health returned before the 25th rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those mince tarts look delicious. I had the lurgy last week and half of the week before and thought I was going to be too sick to go to my sewing retreat with my girlfriends. There was panic I tell you, panic. Hope you're on the mend quickly - I think those mince tarts will be restorative.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very sad to read about little Hugh. We have two friends with seriously ill children, and I am constantly in awe of how much they do and how cheerful they still are when everything is set against their kids. We try to help as much as we can, and it's so good you're helping raise awareness.
    Was sad to hear about old Joan, but the knees up Karl's planned sounds fab.
    No Oscar for me, I'm officially Too Poor this Christmas! But thank you for your kind thoughts...! Xxx ps get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Feel very much for Hugh and his parents, life can be hard and cruel, so much more so for children, which is all the more heart breaking. At this time of the year, hold your loved ones close and please remember that true happiness comes from good health and being loved, if you have both, you are truly blessed
    Though I enjoy seeing the trappings of the good life on this blog, I know how unimportant and trivial those things really are
    Merry Xmas FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most important thing in the whole world is family, being loved and giving love.

      I like nice things but my child and family are the most important and sustaining things there are.x

      Delete

Tell Me Everything.