Years ago my friend Mark and I were in a music shoppe and he was looking for a Good Charlotte cd (look it was 2005 ok?). The guy said (I will never forget this) "you'll find them in the punk section". I know. I was shocked too. Good Charlotte are hardly punk. At best they are what can only be described as "Punk-Lite".
Which brings me to the following disturbing point-
These days one can hardly read a blog without encountering bloggers telling their readers to "Run Not Walk" or saying things are "11/10" or how "The Universe" is forcing them to eat carbs or bake or action some task or other. Some bloggers, like my friend Anna Spiro from Absolutely Beautiful things will refer back to me when she discusses "under cushioning" (the Devil's work). But lots of people don't bother. They just steal my best lines and leave it at that.
But just to let you know, this shameless lifting of phrases is Faux Fuchsia-lite (at best).
Say No to Imitations People.
And remember you read it here first.
I have definitely been noticing an influx of Faux Fuchsia-isms on the net of late! And whilst I admit your syntax has infiltrated my speech also (in a good way!), I always try to reference back to you if I quote you in any way. After all, its only polite!
ReplyDeleteSaying no to Faux Fuchsia lite - the original is always the best. xx
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)
ReplyDeletePersonally, I love your turn of phrase so much that instead of "making", I "ACTION" everything. And I love it 11/10.
I'm not trying to steal, it's just the influence you've had.
Imitation...the sincerest form of flattery!?!
ReplyDeleteDoes this mean that I can't use the word action as a verb. I credited you with that word.
ReplyDeleteI think you should name and shame. Why not?
ReplyDeletehi ff,
ReplyDeletethe nuns taught me that imitation is the highest form of flattery. hmmmm, maybe the nuns were wrong?!
~janet
ps ~
I think I am guilty of saying "frock".....but only when referring to you FF
ReplyDeleteplease do not judge me harshly.
Bowing low...the humblest of hostesses...
I think it's sweet that people are saying "to action" etc but when those who do not have me on their blog roll, are not followers, don't leave comments and extolling their readers to "Run Not Walk", well, it's all a bit rich in my opinion. And this blog really is just a crazy jumble of My Opinions!
ReplyDeleteOh your FF-isms are everywhere online. I've stumbled across blogs that now feature headless photos like yours and have even observed some unpleasant comments popping up on facebook in regards to FF. Shocking. But what can you do? Jealous/unoriginal peeps are everywhere. The loyal FF followers know where to find the original and the best and it aint anywhere but here!!
ReplyDeleteTake is as flattery. I would say that majority of bloggers know those terms refer back to you. If not, they surely must be living under a rock don't you think? ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure you can claim "Run, don't walk" as your own. That's a pretty common phrase in use around the traps.
ReplyDeleteBut you may have a point on the other phrases. I'm not sure I've heard "not knowingly under-cushioned" every used anywhere else before you.
Hi LFL. Unpleasant comments on Facebook. Interesting. Well better there than here. I get nasty and vicious comments on this blog from time to time. Always anonymous. You wonder why people bother.
ReplyDeleteHi Anon, thanks for your anon comment.
When blog posts contain multiple phrases that are all the exact ones I use, you have to admit it looks a bit well, odd.
But hey, I'm open to the fact that it might be just a spooky coincidence.
I have been responsible for telling friends IRP to 'Run, dont walk' to your blog. So that should be ok.
ReplyDeleteOh and you are on my blog roll.
Dont stress... keep baking and decorating!
Dear Ms FF, The 644 (at last count) discerning followers of this blog will always prefer it to a pretender (is a faux blog actually a flog?). However, I think that the price of being an international arbiter of fashion is the natural and possibly unconscious imitation of others - many of whom were not impressed with the importance of citation during their formative years. Society is Clearly To Blame. That and falling educational standards... We are at the coast again with friends. I luff it 11/10 (see how easily this phrase emerges, Ms FF) cooking, eating and drinking among friends with great bursts of laughter and generosity preferably with children running in and out with sand on their feet...
ReplyDelete'Faux Fuchsia-Gate'... it's a crime, I say. Always credit... the golden rule of bloggy land. Don't worry about the nasties... they're hanging out mostly behind the scenes at my blog! A-M xx
ReplyDeleteI think this post just proves to us how "into" yourself you really are.
ReplyDeleteDear "Anon",
ReplyDeleteThis anonymous comment proves that you are a bore and a coward. Why not leave a return email? If you don't like this blog or what appears on the blog here's a tip- stop reading!or maybe you should be a bit more "in" to yourself and get a hobby or do something cheerful with your afternoon instead of getting all upset by visiting here. Thanks for taking the time out of your happy life to comment! All the best xxx
dear ff,
ReplyDeletecultural appropriation is a very contentious issue.
once upon a time i would exclaim wee! or yayyy! or precious/poppet and be witness to some horrified or confused expressions of people in the vacinity. but now those snooty people use those charming expression all the time. so rude.
on the other hand, there's shakespeare, and where would we be if we couldnt appropriate some of his expressions?
plus, you're an original. i'm sure you've got more snappy catch phrases where those came from.
can i get a witness?
Deeply horrified by the temerity of the faux faux bloggers. Whilst they may pilfer some of you wonderful phrases ... they will never be able to imitate your Superior Use of Capitilisation. It takes serious smarts and comedic talent to be able to organise majascules and miniscules to such hilarious perfection.
ReplyDeleteWow! I've never commented before but felt I couldn't ignore this as I have been thinking EXACTLY that! 'spensive and luff are others I've seen epically infiltrate imitations. Unfortunately (fortunately?) most of the lame imitations are plagued by spelling mistakes and incredibly low res photos. Not great. But yes, agreed FF, there is a shameless trend of FF impersonators. How embarrassing. (For them, not you).
ReplyDeleteLong live the original! x
Hi FF, I am a lurker who hasn't joined but will one day I promise when I sort out my silly blogger name stuff which short-circuits constantly for some reason. I/We always quote you down here where we like the weather bleak, I even give you proper reference when speaking to my articled clerk about my chipped nail polish, so I am even educating the Gen Z's too with the FF lingo! The "Anon" comment leaver earlier seems like a fink to me, how nasty and yucchy to have such people crawling over your blog like unwelcome coachroaches! Uggggh! Cheers, Melbourne Sybilla :-)
ReplyDeleteDear Melbourne Sybilla,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your message. It's bleak here too but the weather's perfect for some light decluttering, plus it's quite cosy indoors x
FF, I Adore your Words and Phrases 11/10. I SO look forward to what you'll share next with us all.
ReplyDeleteFF, I fear you just became part of your follower's language, and as we new words don't get quoted in everyday's language, very soon your "inventions" will become part of the everyday language. There is no controll over language, that evolves. Not even google (and they are VERY very powerfull) could hinder people from using "to google" as a verb without the "Copyright"-mark in texts.
ReplyDeleteAnd then there are the french who try to controll "their" language, that's why it is mégaoctet and not MB. How crazy is this?
I wish you could feel proud and not disturbed. Those who know, know. It's the same with no-logo-luxury. Those who know, know. I can understand though it really bothers you.
Hello Faux Fuschia,
ReplyDeleteI discovered your blog because I too tend to be fond of a bit of captialisation and see my wardrobe as full of 'frocks'. I am guessing a lot of other people are also drawn to your blog because your use of language in some way parellels their own.
However, straight-out copying a whole bunch of phrases is just not on. Perhaps you will be seeing strangers in FF copycat outfits next- everyone knows that is a crime. On the plus side, it must be flattering to have a lot of disciples out there. Maybe this is the start of world domination?
I think you need a logo FF. Particularly for that exciting thing coming up that I can't reveal. Are there any graphic designers out there who want to give it a go?
ReplyDeleteL
These immitations are 1/10. I dislike it, although I haven't seen any of them myself. I would imagine that Cotton Socks would have a similar experience. You're both unique, and the people want to be unique!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't wear Chamel, so why would I read Phaux Phuchia? Ridiculous.
Stina
Hi there
ReplyDeleteMy mother always used to say that imitation was the sincerest form of flattery because I had a friend who would always buy EXACTLY the same shoes as me. It didn't ever make me feel better though.
The thing that has bothered me enough to post something is the comment from 'anon' about you being 'into yourself'. How rude. And the fact that she said it shows 'us' implies she thinks she is part of some collective group. I'd say she (assuming it is a she) is all on her own.
I am posting as 'anon' because I am not computer savvy enough to work out the other way and I am also very time poor and usually just read and not comment.
I love the lighthearted nature of your blog and it makes me laugh. You don't have a bad word to say about anyone. It never ceases to amaze me that someone negative always has to be a party pooper. In the words of Kamahl...'Why are people so unkind?'.
Keep up the fashion, fingernails and fuchsia-isms. There should be more of it.
kc
Dear KC
ReplyDeleteThank you for this lovely and thoughtful comment.
My view is that if you don't like the blog, or the topics, why waste your time reading? Why waste more time commenting?
There a a lot of unhappy miserable people out there- I choose not to be one of them.
It's interesting that people think they have an indepth knowledge of my feelings and personality from the snippets of stuff I post here. This blog represents a small portion of my life, not its entirity. Some readers get that. Some readers don't.
It's true that I don't have a bad word to say about anyone on the blog. It's just not that sort of blog.
Kamahl poses a good question. People are unkind I think because they are bored, or in a cranky mood, or feel bad about themselves, or are miserable or are jealous or are bitter (there's a pattern here).
Long time readers know that this has been a challenging and at times sad year for me.
My Grandma and uncle died within 2 weeks of each other. I've experienced loss and felt real and intense grief.
But being a mean spirited person isn't the answer for me. Focussing on the small domestic minutia of my life and cherishing my relationships has been my way of coping.
The nasty comments say for more about the anonymous people writing them than they do about me.
Cheers, FF x
If I were you I'd look on the bright side - if there are that many people immitating you then there must be that many people reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteI once saw Good Charlotte live. Someone at work were selling the tickets cheap. I enjoyed the concert. My friend who came with me asked me never to talk about us seeing them in concert again.
ReplyDeleteAs for FF-Lite - agreed - I have seen many a pilfering of your terms. If I refer to you, your terms, or anyone else/or their terms, I reference them with a hyperlink. Plus, I think it's better to blog in an authentic voice, and if FF-Liteists are using your terms/voice all over the shop, they're just not dinky-di bloggers.
You are awesome, the original and the best.
Kudos to you FF.
I know a graphic designer blogger that may be able to do you a logo:
ReplyDeleteNikki from Flair to Remember: http://flairtoremember.blogspot.com/2010/10/graphic-arting.html
@Stina 'Phaux Phuchia' - hahahahahaha
ReplyDeleteGee FF, I wish I could filter the negatives for you. I mean, who needs it? I don't relish nasty, ignorant people either. We need some form of broad-spectrum blog spray to weed them out, much like a "Blog-Die" or something. I agree with you though, that a positive nature is a choice. Here's to making good choices! Cheers xx
ReplyDeleteI see it now - FF flinging open the window and screaming out "I'm mad as hell and I'm just not going to take it anymore!" - or words to that effect anyway. Then quickly shutting the window because that weather is fatal for the hair.
ReplyDeletePeople copy. Thats how we learn to talk, walk and behave. There would be no great food, decorating, design or entertaining blogs if people worried about that.
ReplyDeleteBe true to yourself, that is all that matters.
Have phun!
P.S. I dont have an account, hence annon
I noticed this just last week. In particular, there is another Brisbane based blogger who is channelling this blog to the point where a Single White Female-esque comparison is not out of place..! I don't want to read 100 blogs that are all watered down versions of yours FF, and as such they are certainly not being bookmarked or visited more than once.
ReplyDeleteThis whole post is ridiculous. If Anon was worth half his or her salt, they'd name the so called 'copy' blog. It is interesting to see that you will critisise some Anonymous commentators, but not others.
ReplyDeleteI lived in Brisbane years ago and I don't think there would be that many bloggers there. I don't think it's fair to half 'out' another blogger. I've also seen the GodDammit I'm Mad!'s blog and she doesn't hide behind half-baked accusations. She just comes out and calls it as it is. You shouldn't accuse people of doing something if you are not prepared to name them so they can change their ways or defend themselves. But you won't post this.
Hi Anon,
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the itme to comment.
I get lots of interesting comments from Anonymous people which I publish. However, anything spiteful, nasty, rude, defamatory or vicious by an Anonymous poster (or someone with a return email for that matter) gets deleted.
Most nasty comments do not provide a legitimate email address. I wonder why this is?
I get to decide this because it's my blog.
If you aren't comfortable or at peace with this, I understand if you choose not to visit here again.
You are wrong when you say there aren't that many bloggers in Brisbane. There are hundreds if not thousands of bloggers in Brisbane.
This blog is not designed to humiliate or shame anyone- it's not that sort of blog. I enjoy seeing what Sister Wolf at Goddamit is up to, but this blog is different to hers.
I have seen many blogs that are blatant copies of this one, but I am not going to name them here.
If this bothers or upsets you, that's something that you will have to come to terms with.
Cheerio.