Wednesday, March 9, 2011

General Miscellania

Something happened today that was so weird and so unusual that I'm expecting the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse to ride into town. People- Prepare yourselves Emotionally. Because we are Through the Looking Glass Here.
Today I actioned a day time sleep.
I know. I'm shocked too. What can I say?
I was tired.
This is the Garden's lone rose. There was an abundance of Black Spot wreaking havoc dammit.
Meanwhile I am busy stocking the freezer with handy meals that can be eaten with one hand. Behold the Magnificence of my slow cooker endeavours:
I am loving my slow cooker sick. It only cost me about $20. I've made beef curry, osso bucco, a Spanish-esque chicken casserole that my Mum made us as kids and soups. Might action a Thai green curry tomorrow. Just because. Tabitha asked who taught me to cook. Well Mum did and then my Aunt really skilled me up- she is the best cook ever and taught me really tricky things. I used to love poring over all her cookbooks. I think it's weird that so many kids these days aren't taught to cook. I wonder why?
This morning I was directed by the Universe to whip up some sweet breakfast rolls. If you are doing a low carb low GI or low sugar diet you might want to skip the next few photos. You've been warned.
Hello Sugary Buttery Carbolicious Goodness.
Thank God for garden colour delivered via cordylines

Every day this week I've met my girlfriends for lunch or brunch. I have noticed that there are millions of people out there who aren't at work who are hanging out brunching mid week too. Who knew?
I actioned a bun and stuck a white flower whatsy in it.
I was in a shop and 2 extremely glam and well dressed ladies who I think might have been in their 70s with professionally blow dried hair told me they loved my frock and shoes. They made my day!
I am about to sit down and read these:
look how nice the sky looked tonight-
And how cute is this wondersuit????
Wore this on Monday
and on Monday night I went to my favourite place to eat Montrachet with 2 of my favourite girls in the world where I ordered the same things I always do.
Brains.
Crab souffle
and creme brulee
and this was me yesterday.
I found this photo of me taken in about June 2010. I remember it was freezing. I love the beach at dusk. I appear to be wearing what can only be described as a beret.
Prince William's coming to Queensland. I hope I get to see him.
Nothing else to report.
xxx

36 comments:

  1. I've never tried brains. I love your breakfast buns and your red dress and shoes.
    A day time sleep is talking my language. I really think I was born in the wrong country, as I fully endorse the siesta.
    It must be feeling rather peculiar for you to not be at work in the daytime. Enjoy!!
    The slow cooker is the best thing, especially for cooler weather and warming meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FF,how do you do such a good bun? Mine never look nice like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your red shoes and frock do look excellent. Love the flower in your bun too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh the daytime nap. It's a wonderful thing when you can action it.
    That is one superior bun!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How the devil do you stay so slim eating the fabulous food you eat out and you make yourself? It is one of the wonders of the modern world, do tell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi FF
    Well done on the day time sleep! Can I ask a question? What is black spot? I think I saw some on my geraniums yesterday!
    More importantly, how do I get rid of it?
    Ta, KC

    PS I love a wondersuit too. I used to like smelling them when they came out of the dryer. They epitomise a sleepy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking gorgeous as ever FF.
    I've been trying to teach myself to bake/cook. My mum fed me exclusively from cans - I'm not kidding - she says as there was 20 to 25 years between me and my siblings she had had enough so it was cans or starve. The others all got taught to swim and ski too but not me, I got dumped in front of the TV with my can of spaghetti hoops - she took quite a while to come round to having a very late baby but she loves me now!

    Oh I made your sweet breakfast rolls last week - everyone loved them, that's where yesterdays extra sugary cinammon buns grew out of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debra: I've asked the same thing, it's an unfair world, we need to get some umbilical cells in the next few weeks and start injecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ms FF, A day sleep! Excellent! The ability to snooze is so helpful with babies particularly if you can both conk out together. Brunching and lunching is hard work - one has to concentrate and then there are all those calories to digest. I love wondersuits. A baby always looks well dressed in them but I had to do a doubletake as I thought you wrote that you wore the wondersuit on Monday which did strike me as remarkable but then I got with the program. Are you going to make anything from Gourmet Traveller? Is it still good? Maybe I should subscribe. Ciao. Lindaxxx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you 've got your bags packed FF. You never know!! My niece gave birth 2 1/2 weeks early last night. A dear tiny little girl called Annelise Mary.
    Speaking of Mary, how gorgeous are Princess Mary's twins?
    You look lovely in your red dress . x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only post flattering snaps of self- am HUGE in reality.

    And I always cover my figure flaws (of which there are many)

    Tabitha excellent re the baking!

    Jan I love the look of Princess Mary's twins. Must pack a bag tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness how do I leave a short comment after the wonders of this post? Will need to scroll back to ensure I leave nothing out.
    My darling Mum would cook brains in white sauce for my babies because she believed they held wonderous nutrients. I was more than happy to leave her to it. Wondersuits are a mother's best friend so embrace this baby apparel FF.
    Thanks for the warning about breakfast roll carbos but felt it did not apply to me as I was devouring caramel and macadamia ice-cream while reading this post.
    My mantra for enabling my kids to learn and action cooking themselves a meal was simple. Once they were old enough to be left home alone and I was out for the evening I never pre-cooked a meal for either of them so they learnt quick smart to prepare one for themselves or go hungry. I have friends who disagree with this method...suffice to say their children can't cook.
    Gorgeous outfit and flowers as per usual FF.
    xx
    Ps. Do you find the rosette thingies take forever to dry after washing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. FF, When I first left work to care for my babes I also recall being absolutely amazed by the amount of people out socialising, shopping and having a great time mid week. It is not until you are actually involved in a life change (i.e. having a baby) that you realise how others live and spend their time. It is a whole new world, as you will no doubt discover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks anne Marie- rosettes take no time to dry- I shove them in the dryer!

    black spot is a fungal disease that attacks roses, you need to remove and spray and the humidity makes it worse.

    Are your geraniums covered in rust spots?? if yes you'll need to remove prune and spray

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear FF the human body is a wonderful machine and knows you have to be in tip top condition in the coming weeks so actioned a Nana nap.
    I love Bonds Baby gro suits and boy KB had a similar soothing mint suit 22 odd years ago.
    You know my thoughts on kids learning to cook. L just made for us Chicken in yoghurt, pea puree with Haloumi and Couscous and fetta. Yumbo.
    I am thrilled to bits Prince William is coming but sadly will not be lining the road and waving madly like I did in 1983 when his beloved mother Diana came! Will you?
    Kate Bx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Apparently when I was a baby, my mum couldn't eat garlic because I would get a very unhappy tummy. Of course, since I was weened I haven't had a day without garlic. So you might want some fairly bland meals in there too, if you are planning to breastfeed. On the other hand, your child is going to be a Superior Baby and probably won't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello FF and everyone! First time poster, long time reader (giggle). I didn't learn how to cook until I moved out and had to cook for myself for the first time. When I was a teenager I thought that being able to cook was too 'domesticated' and that as a feminist female I should avoid such an activity (lol). Unfortunately that logic backfired when I moved out and into my own place because I then realised that if I was unable to feed myself, then how to I expect to be an independant individual?!!
    That piece of teenage logic still makes me laugh. I also didn't find my Mum's cooking too inspiring (sorry Mum!! Love you though!) I don't think I really started to enjoy food until I started cooking it myself and cooked what I wanted to eat (I was one of those hideous very fussy eaters as a child).
    Ps I am a constant admirer of your smooth tresses, I'm actually in awe of the lack of frizz as I know how humid QLD can be:)
    cheers, jodi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was about nine when Diana and Charles toured not long after the birth of William. They stayed for a few days not far from where we lived at the time. I can remember standing in the front of road side crowd as their car slowly drove past. Fortunatly I was on Princess Di's side and I remember locking eyes with her as she smiled as she drove past. It was a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. FF - were they the brains of tiny creatures? I somehow expected brains to be...bigger.

    I don't know if I could eat anything from a head cavity, although I'm not too squeamish about offal...actually, that's made me feel a bit wobbly in the old tummy department.

    Your flowers look wonderful. Your clothes look wonderful and if ANYONE should get to press the flesh of the Heir to The Big Chair, I'm betting that it's you :-D

    Ali xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The red frock and shoes are by far my favorite, loving the white frock too! The bun is more magnificent than usual!!! Lisa S.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I imagine that nap was the universe practicing speaking to you in your new Mother language:).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nanna naps are your friend in late pregnancy. You look gorgeous. Very exciting that the bub will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dearest FF, What a wonderful day you must have had. I have never been able to take a mid-day nap as I get totally disoriented for the rest of the day. I will admit I have been found behind a pile of workpapers in a state of numbness, would that be classified as a nap?

    I tried your bun thing (not the cooking bun...there is a bakery up the street that has my regular attendance - that is why I only LOOK pregnant!!) but almost came out with the clippers.

    First I tied a low pony-tail; divided it in half; teased top part (to give it some fullness); the remaining bottom I tried to twirl around with hair pins. In the end, it looked like I should have two fresh eggs in that mess of nest! So, I slowly combed out the knots and realized that talent was beyond me.

    I enjoy looking at your tasty dishes!! The presentation makes them mouth watering!! I have shown them to my husband as he LOVES to cook. What a team! I talk with him while he cooks and he entertains me while I clean up.

    I love your blog....thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful flowers. What ever happened to serpent gate? Is your garden now a serpent free environment?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love reading your blog and so excited about the new baby coming! My daughter is due end of Aug!...the food looks for yummy and you had me at the white rose...prayers for you & le bebe!
    Jennifer aka Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  26. A daytime nap habit is a great one to action...
    after baby FF arrives the priorities are basically eating and sleeping for both you and the babe.

    You are very clever to put up some meals ahead of time...I admire how prepared and organized you are FF.

    Your white rose is perfect...does it have a fragrance?
    I must say that I am enjoying these frequent posts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My cordylines are cheering me up in Melbourne -the weather is less than average but thats ok. I have some recipes on my blog that you can make and freeze (lentil soup, and the GOULASH would be AMAZING in the slow cooker). Excitement at imminent arrival. Are you 'glowing' - having no children of my own, I've never really understood what this meant
    Miss T xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm partial to a creme bruleé myself -hope you get to meet Wills & Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear FF
    Make the daytime nap your friend once that lovely FF boy arrives. It is hard but it does help you get through and if you can't sleep at least put your feet up and read a magazine. I used to feed my babies in bed around 5am and then I would put them in their bassinet next to my side and both of us would conk out till about 9am - bliss!
    As for cooking mine are 7 and 10 so I am teaching them a few basics at the moment. A good pasta sauce, how to make scones, how to cook eggs etc.
    Your maternity leave is looking very glam. I love your freezer stash of meals - very clever.
    India

    ReplyDelete
  30. dear FF, you must be so excited,I am and I don't even know you in person!Love the red dress thats my fav outfit loved the mat outfit post!expect the unexpected I had my 2nd 2 weeks early!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I drove past Montrachet on Monday evening and was suprised to see so many people sitting outside...lucky you. Would have said Hi had I realised you were having creme brulee - my favourite!
    Make the most of your current pregnancy state and revel in the daytime naps - it's your body preparing you by forcing you to rest. Enjoy.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  32. i do love the old gourmet traveller, but it's WAY too hard to cook from. it's so complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hmmm....I always wanted that YSL wallet- Do you think you will still be needing it now that you are having a baby and all, and getting formula and stuff everywhere?? just sayin.... you might want to change to white plastic for a while - just let me know :)

    xx
    SP

    ReplyDelete
  34. yum @ that bun, your hair is always TDF!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear FF, I always get hungry when I read your blog. I want crab souffle now!

    You're still looking amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Saw this on "I love pretty things blog" and thought of baby FF..because it's FF's colours! :) from Little Yon Yon! Orange giraffe..
    http://www.littleyonyon.com.au/p/1215986/eco-tag-giraffe.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.