Still thinking about last night's episode of Four Corners about Live cattle export to Indonesia? Horrified by the cruel torture these animals underwent in Indonesian abattoirs? Well it's never been easier to contact a politician and tell them how you feel.
Julia Gillard can be contacted here.
The Minister for Agriculture can be contacted here.
The Shadow Minister for Agriculture can be contacted here.
And if you want to get in touch with Livecorp (who are spending your tax dollars, that's right People, your taxes have funded these horrific things called "Restraint Boxes" that are being used in these abattoirs) their email is livecorp@livecorp.com.au
Edited to Add:If you haven't watched the episode a brief synopsis is as follows: Beef Cattle are raised here in Australia. They are raised well, in good conditions. They are shipped to Indonesia, during which it also appears they are well treated. They arrive in Indonesian abattoirs. They are treated in a very cruel manner and suffer painful long deaths. I found it hard to watch. Animals had their limbs smashed, their eyes gouged, they had water shoved on them and up their noses before they were slaughtered. They died long painful deaths. The last scene showed a steer watching other cattle being slowly killed . The steer was trembling with fear. And this is still going on, tonight, as I type. Shameful.
Sometimes people comment and say I've inspired them to look after their nails or declutter their homes, or spend more time with their families or make more of an effort with their appearance. Maybe I can inspire them to let our politicians know that we think the Live Cattle Export to Indonesia needs to Stop.
Hi FF.
ReplyDeletei was devastated to read in our paper (this morning already!!!!!) that any interruption to the live cattle trade would affect the profit of our port and perhaps our city.
I was speechless, and depressed!
Will have to write to paper and stand up and be counted as a resident who does not want to live in a city that needs abject cruelty to prosper.
hurrrummph!
Love
Louise
xxxx
Thanks FF I have sent them a terse email and now feel a little better. Horrific and upsetting, I just can't believe our country is part of this terrible practice. Thanks for posting the links, I hope everyone who visits your blog lets the relevant people know how they feel.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the links, I have sent a letter off to the Pm & the minister for Agriculture (may as well go straight to the top) I only saw bits of it on the news & that was enough to make my blood boil, How the hell do these thing keep happening? Anyway hopefully if enough of us protest about it will be stopped.Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteI am with you on this on this shocking practice my dear ff. No animal should ever be mistreated! To see the torture these poor animals have had to endure at the hands of these sadists is beyond belief! Live trade must be stopped for all animals immediately!! I cannot believe the Australian Government endorsed this horror.
ReplyDeleteFaux Fuchsia's mother
Hi Mum
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you have figured out how to post a comment! Finally. I knew you'd be horrified what with your love of animals. I am going to email Nick Xenophon and Andrew Wilke too. I want the cattlemen to make a living but not one based on this level of inhumane torture. We have to Draw a Line in the Sand Cattle Torture Wise.
Hi FF
ReplyDeleteThank you for raising awareness about the cattle through your blog. I cannot bear to watch the live footage that has been in the media.
It must be heartbreak for the farmers who raise the cattle seeing how those lovely animals are being treated.
SSG xxx
Dear SSG
ReplyDeleteI am all for cattlemen making a profit, but cattle being kicked, drowned, hit, tortured, having their tails broken, having their bones broken, being trampled by other catlle and dying slow torturous deaths is the dizzy limit.
The world's gone stark raving mad.
Go Faux! I am a resident in Uk and not seen this programme but your report is harrowing. As an animal lover I am going to email the contacts and demand action.
ReplyDeleteIt is so easy to be cruel to animals, they have no voice, so we have to stand up for them. Well done for raising this issue.
found this on internet, it has a link to the four corners report for those who have not seen it.
ReplyDeleteLooks like govt have already acted but there is a lot of pressure for them to back down.
http://www.news.com.au/national/government-told-to-end-live-cattle-exports/story-e6frfkw0-1226066671192
Thank you for raising awareness of this issue. I am so heartened that last night's show has elicited such a response from the community (and not just from us animal rights people). It is so horrendous I hope we all now agree we cannot allow it to happen, and demand change.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting the links! You have done a very good thing here.
ReplyDeleteWe have to take a stand.
ReplyDeleteI'm so disgusted, it's outrageous that this sort of thing is allowed to happen in this day and age. I've written to everyone I can think of, and have signed the petition over at getup.org.au. Thanks for posting this FF - it's not something I could stomach watching last night, but the fact that it's now out in the open means that hopefully we can put a stop to it. Absolutely shameful. K
ReplyDeleteThanks FF,
ReplyDeleteI've followed your lead & sent the emails...livecorp yet to come. It is sickening & I think naive ( as some folks on TV said tonight that attitudes to the treatment of animals can be "educated"). Not possible. It must stop.
Wendy
Thank you for these posts FF. Something has got to be done. I promise to write and express my disbelief that our country condones this. I saw on the news that it has been halted for the moment thanks to some footage that showed cruelty. Well, what about this whole activity is not cruel? Oh I get so mad and upset at the same time!
ReplyDeleteHi FF
ReplyDeleteAgree that this is a disgusting barbaric practice. I just wanted to suggest you (and others) also email/call the other independents - Rob Oakeshott, Tony Windsor, Bob Katter and Tony Crook especially.
If there's lots of pressure on the lower house independents it will put pressure on the govt with the way the parliament is balanced.
Ps Love your blog and am typing with freshly manicured nails (your influence)!
They've halted trade to a paltry 10% of abattoirs. Big deal. The other 90% are still operating as I type in God only knows what conditions. I urge you all to contact the politicians.
ReplyDeleteThat's horrendous. I may be on the other side of the rigid but I too shall bombard them with an email.
ReplyDeleteInterestingly this hit the "rural media" in WA last week as several key players politically were shown the footage early.
ReplyDeleteDo you know farmers selling cattle pay an extra levy ($5/beast) to the MLA and this is supposed to go towards the cost of monitoring the end point of the cattle (ie humane transport and slaughtering)? I think the system has let down a lot of people (and a lot of cattle) at so many levels.
My only concern with a complete ban would be that cattle from another source would then go to Indonesia and suffer the same fate. At least if we stayed in the market with extremely strict regulations we might make some difference to the fate of animals in Indonesia.
Anyway - just my view point. We don't farm cattle (only sheep) but put so much effort and time into good animal care that I can only imagine how heartbreaking this would be for major cattle farmers.
Same concerns re: total banning as A Farmer's Wife. My family have been involved in beef production and live export for a number of years now, and we were absolutely horrified by what we saw last night. So were all of the other cattle producers that we know, and not just because of potential financial repercussions. The absolute cruelty shown to those animals was truly heartbreaking.
ReplyDeleteHowever, if we ban the live trade to Indonesia, we protect our cattle but subject others to the same fate. If we spend more money investing in abattoirs in Indonesia, educating the workers and staffing the centers appropriately, we can try to impose the same standards of animal welfare that we expect in Australia. The MLA have a lot of questions to answer, but ultimately I want to see a solution which improves the standards of slaughter for all animals in Indonesian abattoirs, not just Australian animals. No animal should be treated in that way.
To those who say that shipping chilled meat is a viable alternative, it's not. Firstly, poorer people don't have access to refrigeration, and buy their meat at wet markets. This means that animals have to be slaughtered each day on site. Secondly, there is a perception that 'our halal' is not as good as 'Indonesia's halal', so there is a cultural resistance to meat killed in countries other than Indonesia. Thirdly, a lot of Indonesia's agricultural by-products are used in feedlots. They would not be able to use these by-products if meat was sent to them chilled from Australia.
It's an absolutely horrific situation. I hope that our Government makes the right decision; one that protects and improves animal welfare across the board.
Farmer's Wife you make lots of good and interesting points. and are super qualified to do so. am really glad you commented.
ReplyDeleteCattle producers need to make a living. I get that.
The trembling steer was from WA.
Still had his tags on.
A farmer's wife does have a good point, as much as I hate to think about it. The system needs to change, because otherwise, it's just going to continue with other cattle (unless there can be an organized boycott involving multiple countries). Shameful. I no longer eat meat other than fish, but I think this is why it is important for those who do to know where their meat is coming from and that the animals are humanely treated.
ReplyDeleteIt's truly shocking, as are so many things that are done for the sake of the profit. Look at the cocoa and diamond trades, still using slaves including children.
ReplyDeleteTDM xx
Z, thanks for these points- they mentioned on 4 Corners that there are hardly any people with fridges in Indonesia and they want their meat freshly slaughtered from the wet markets.
ReplyDeleteWithout doubt it is a horrible outcome for any beast raised on anyone's property, anywhere.
ReplyDeleteSeveral graziers were on the ABC radio today, some almost in tears. And trust me when I say it wasn't because of the financial aspect.
It's been made clear that unless the Indonesians get the beef from Oz they'll just get it elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteI don't know what the solution is.
But I've been thinking non stop about those steers since 8.30pm last night.
Farmer's wife, I believe you. At the beginning of 4 Corners the cattle men were saying how much care and love was taken when theur were raising their cattle.
ReplyDeleteAnd how they wouldn't tolerate anyone mistreating them.
Which made the scenes that followed revolting.
FF - my dad was actually involved in leading study tours to abattoirs in Indonesia and assisting with setting up feedlots over there in the 90s. He loves his cattle, and would never have been able to support a practice that treats them so terribly. He was so overwhelmed by what he saw and heard last night that he couldn't actually speak to anyone until a couple of hours afterwards. I had the same thoughts running throgh my head - these cows could have been ours. I really want a solution that ensures that this sort of thing can't, and doesn't, happen again. If that means banning live trade, then fine. But if that's not the best solution, and doesn't do the most to protect the welfare of animals in Indonesia, then I want to make sure that the government considers all options open to it, and doesn't just bow to populist pressure.
ReplyDeleteI won't ever forget the sheer terror in that steer's eyes, either. It's haunting.
Unless all countries boycott love export To Indonesia, not much will change - but there is nonreason why we can't be the first to boycott.
ReplyDeleteI think the starting point is awareness.
ReplyDeleteNext we contact our elected politicians.
There is probably no quick fix or easy solution, but something has to be done.
I've spent the evening emailing appropriate people. Another poltician to add to the list is Warren Truss Nationals Leader. Apparently (if I can believe a media quote) he doesn't have a big issue with it..excuse me?
ReplyDeleteYou know me FF, I'm pretty mild mannered but all last night and today I've been seething with frustration and anger. Of course this barbarism has been happening for years but we all needed another big reminder like last nights program to sit up and act. I've steeled myself to watch some footage today and I still can't bear it.
My fathers family farmed prize winning pigs and those pigs were beautifully cared for. My Dad and Grandfather would be absolutely horrified and shocked at last nights report.
Have also emailed Andrew Wilkie to support his endeavours.
So lovely to see your Mum's comment.
xx
Good for you Anne Marie! My mum is like Dr Doolittle-animals love her, she loves animals.
ReplyDeleteAll the livestock people I know in real life treat their animals humanely, so it's tough to watch the footage. I found it extremely disturbing.
Must email Mr Wilke. From memory he's an independant guy from Tasmania?
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20110530/cattle/
ReplyDeleteThis is a protest website that has been doing the rounds with my Australian Facebook friends since this programme was aired: I posted it on your original thread on Monday, but you might not have seen it.
ReplyDeleteHere it is anyway:
http://www.getup.org.au/
Ali x
This is awful, FF. Thank you for writing about it. I watched a clip on youtube and cried. So sad. I need to eat more ethically. I need to become a locavore. Thanks for encouraging me.
ReplyDeleteI didnt see the program last night but I did watch the video on banliveexports.com today and have thought of little else since. I have the image of that trembling cow etched in my mind - I dont think I shall be sleeping much tonight. I have lodged my protests with the relevant politicians. I never thought I would cry for a cow.....
ReplyDeleteThis makes me feel physically sick, upset and angry all at the same time. Thank you for using your popularity to raise awareness
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the summary and links.
ReplyDeleteI had missed it as am working every minute of the day at the moment, but intended to watch it when workload permitted (although a little scared to do so). However, even with just that summary, I emailed Julia, John and Joe to voice my concerns. It sounds horrific and I agree something must be done.
Hoping that appropriate action for all is carried out.
T.
I could not watch that show, much too awful and appreciate your willingness to take a stand, plus the comments from all your followers. I will email and talk to everyone I can too.
ReplyDeletePolly xx
Thankyou for raising awareness on this issue FF, it is awful! I am sure the media already "exposed" this kind of thing maybe 7 years ago, I suppose people put it out of their minds after a while - let's all try not to forget about this.
ReplyDeleteI don't think Alison's link worked properly, that is the right site but the page to use is this one: http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/live-export/ban-live-export
P.S. Way to go Mum FF!
You want to make a difference? QUIT EATING MEAT!
ReplyDeleteOh Dear Lord.....How HORRIBLE! I am speechless to see the unnecessary mistreatment of these animals!!! It is sickening!! Good luck to all prostesters!!! This is a battle that can be won with enough people involved!! The terror experienced by those suffering animals is so disarming. What kind of people would DO that??? Thank you for the post FF.....I am just sorry this goes on in our world!!
ReplyDeletethis is unspeakably tragic. those poor creatures! i pray something is done to stop it. i'm tearing up just reading your post, FF.
ReplyDeleteyou are doing a great thing by posting about this. i'm not in australia- i'm in the usa- so i had no idea.
yes, if indonesia can no longer get its cattle from australia, they'll get it elsewhere. still...it would be one less place they can buy it from...and perhaps that would eventually lead to an end to their horrific treatment of cattle.
hi k,
ReplyDeletei linked to your blog today.
it's all so cruel and unecessary.
xo
janet
Go! Go!! Go!!! FF.
ReplyDeleteYou may have been sent this link already but just in case you haven't.
http://www.banliveexport.com/#takeAction
There's a letter already written for you to sign.
FF i heard on the radio this am there has been a barrage of emails and distressed calls to MPs. Lets hope people power helps.
ReplyDeleteThank you for lobbying for this cause and for providing that contact information. I'll definitely be jumping aboard the cause, I have seen so much inhumane treatment of animals in South East Asia, it's nice to have a direction to channel my energy.
ReplyDeleteFF, thank you for mentioning this on your blog. You did well to watch the Four Corners footage, if I had continued I know I'd have been scarred for life. As an animal lover and supporter I am completely confounded by how anyone can torture, hurt or harm. I just don't understand what is going on in these people's minds. I've been actioning the GetUp petition and emailing pollies left right and centre.
ReplyDeleteAnd well done to Four Corners for its exposure, this issue at last has been getting some of the media attention it so deserves.
Thanks for making it so easy to take action against these horrible pratices,I have followed the links and emailed each politician and Livecorp. Well done to you!
ReplyDeleteWell done on making people aware FF. Like you, was on the bandwagon with my friends and signing petitions left right and centre yesterday, unable to get those images out of my mind. Had a big chat to my 8 yr old last night about trade practices regarding these animals, his uncle is a cattle producer and he sees how well those animals are treated so was horrified to hear about the Four Corners episode (which he didn't watch, but saw bits on the news).He wrote a great letter to Julia and our local member and was very inspired whilst doing so. Never to young to start I say. Keep up the good work! Kell
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post, FF! It is fantastic to see so many women rise up and voice their utter rage over the abject treatment of these animals. My heart broke watching this footage and I literally wept for those darling creatures. That men feel free to willfully inflict this kind of soul-destroying damage on animals is something God must be weeping about! I appreciate all the practical points that A Farmer's Wife points out with clarity and real understanding of the industry issues. It's all clearly very complex and yes, agree, we must try to improve the destiny of ALL animals, not just our gorgeous Aussie born and bred. I'm just very glad that blogs and Facebook are going OFF over this and we are absolutely getting this very ugly issue into the public arena for inspection. There has been great momentum on this even in the past day or so.
ReplyDeleteGood on you FF on taking a stand and thanks for all the contact links. I wonder what Temple Grandin would make of all of this?
ReplyDeleteI am afraid to imagine that what we saw on 4 corners last night, happens in many countries, the world over! Countries, like Indonesia, which are run by psycho despotic, corrupt dictators...and we all know there are plenty of them...just look at the Middle East...
ReplyDeleteI shudder to think how cattle are treated in the lead up to slaughtering there. Does anyone know if we send cattle there as well?
As much as i wish the trade did not exist, I think Z is right; if we can stick with helping to overhaul and upgrade Indonesian abbatoirs, then I think that is the right thing to do by the graziers and, most importantly, the animals.
Thanks FF - and also thanks to Z for the very interesting points.
This is a huge worldwide issue and I think it extends into the topic of Halal butchering in general.
I wasn't aware of anything about the live cattle trade to Indonesia until I watched the 4 Corners show.
ReplyDeleteApparently politicians have been bombarded with people letting them know their views.
Missoni bugaboo is available from today.
ReplyDeleteJust emailed you!
I sent emails, thanks for the links
ReplyDeleteLinlee
Miss iceberg
FF ... You are a wonderful person and a true inspiration in every respect. A while ago I commented on how proud it made me feel that you were a chick from Brissie ... now I am even more proud. Good on you and keep up the good work. Have just come back from a trip to NYC and missed 4 Corners this week but have now emailed everyone and anyone about this disgusting situation.
ReplyDeleteNik
I just heard about this on the news yesterday. After seeing a show about the "humane" way of killing cattle, I was sickened, so the thought of the torture that some would place on these docile creatures is even more disturbing. I don't understand the mindset of someone who could commit such abuses. Many countries barely place rights of humans as a priority so there is no way for them to even contemplate that animals should have rights. It is very, very sad indeed. I became a vegetarian two years ago because because the thought of what is behind the slaughter of any animal was too much for me to bear the thought of. Good for you bringing this to light for many. Best wishes, Tammy
ReplyDelete