Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ivana Trump and Other Stuff

Hello. It finally rained. Hooray. Maybe the garden'll come back from the brink now. How perfect is the red of the centre of this bromeliad? Say what you will about them, they ask for so little and give so much. If you want to know more you'll need this book by Andrew Steers:
Thank God you can't kill my Joan Salvia's with a blowtorch.
Bad at gardening? Lots of dead patches and empty spaces? Stay Calm. Don't panic.
Follow my lead and shove a $2 bunch of faux flowers in the ground! Hey Presto your Garden Woes are solved! No one will ever be the wiser!
Someone said they like to see if they can read the titles of my books. I'm here to help.
Look:
and here are some more! Aunts Up the Cross by Robyn Dalton is one of my favourite books EVER! Run Don't Walk.
You know how I sometimes like to channel a sort of 1980s-resort-style outfit-wearing-Ivana Trump?
like here actioning Resort Wear in Pucci:
or here actioning a sort of resort style look in bright pink?
well the other day I was wondering past a little fancy pants boutique arrangement in my suburb (which if you've been reading you know I hate to leave) when I saw a crazy kind of colourful caftan style thing that you could imagine Ivana wearing at a Trump resort circa 1987 when she was still married to the Donald and rocking really nice tangerine polish and a big beehive hairdo. Look:
It's so Me! I love a wacky caftan! Plus it was $25 down from $89! The fabric is everything I want in a resort style top.
Meanwhile tonight I might read this:
As a child I had a board game called Snakes and Ladders. Disturbingly today I clocked this evil varmint on the roof of my courtyard:
Let's hope it doesn't figure out how to climb this ladder and access the interior of my home:
(Mum can you show this to Dad and ask him if it is just a harmless tree snake?) EDITED TO ADD my Dad just called me and it is a harmless tree snake and he says it doesn't want to come inside!
I am getting really excited about the Red Phoenix Emporium FF Leo Necklace Launch.
The e-vites have been sent. Outfits are being planned. Hairstyles are being discussed. Polish colours are being workshopped (look I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is Not a Blog about World Peace).
Thank you to everyone who left such interesting and thoughtful messages on the "How did you find this blog?" thing. I've loved reading your answers. I am not judging the winner til next Monday so feel free to pop down there and action a response if you can be bothered. Remember, there's an exciting prize for the winner!

37 comments:

  1. '(look I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is Not a Blog about World Peace)'

    Best line of the entry!!
    I love it!

    I do believe you contribute to world peace through your blog, FF. I've never felt like actioning violence after reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear C,
    I love it that you are such a prolific comment maker! There are those whom this blog infuriates. Glad you aren't one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking through your books I have read Me and Miss M - it was really cute! I don't know anyone else who had read it so I'm glad to find another person.

    That's a scary snake. I'm glad we don't tend to get them in our suburb.

    That Kaftan is really cute - nothing better than a bit of resort wear on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that I'm an expert FF but yes, it looks to be a harmless tree snake... and yes, it will access the interior of your home easily. (I'm speaking from experience!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa I am really really frightened now! How will it get inside? How??????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Screens FF.
    Please tell me you have fly screens.
    Screened all our windows and doors when living in the sticks and these kept out the blighters.
    Would you believe I helped hubs bag a few pythons on our property for relocation (no snakes harmed in the bagging only my nerves).
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have crim-safe screens!!! On every window! and Bars too!!! But can they get through airconditioning units????? It was pretty slim-it could access a tiny hole!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brynley (big son) informs me/you that it is a green tree snake. Promise. Harmless.... can tell by the yellow belly... only tree climbing snake... apart from pythons... he keeps throwing facts at me... I think that's enough. ... oh he says it doesn't have to be green to be a 'Green Tree Snake'.. take it from me, that boy knows everything about reptiles and boy stuff..... oh more.. not likely that it will enter your house... more facts being tossed about... if it does enter, it won't get aggressive... remain calm, walk away slowly... good work son.... oh he's off to discuss' Wildlife of Greater Brisbane' with his brother... looks like the origami session has morphed into a reptile research session.... oh they're gone ... now 'actioning' the reptile books. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the fact that you left a little message for your Dad to identify the snake.

    When I first got married I was in our little farm house when my puppy went ballistic outside. I popped out to find a horrible and very venomous black snake wrapped around a gas bottle. I was unable to contact my husband ( I strongly believe removing snakes is a "boy job" plus I was 7 months pregnant) so I rang my Dad who was hours away in a business meeting in the city. Bless him he interrupted the meeting to speak to me and his advice was "Just go inside lock the doors and whatever you do don't shoot it or you'll blow up half the house!!" Apparently the rest of the business meeting thought he was quite mad.

    I don't think they can get through air con because there tends to be mesh inside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Latest CountryStyle is fab FF. Mum and I read it religiously, and often wonder if our little farmhouse weekender would ever have a chance of being pictured in it (Definitely not, as it is not all white). Started reading your blog through Vogue Forums, passed it on to another friend who passed it on again. We collectively each hold our breath every time we are in Paddington in hope of an FF sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks as though you scored another nice bargain, I do enjoy seeing your good buys so I thought I would share one with you. Have you tried good old Cutex nail polish? They have no colours worth mentioning but I love the 3 in 1(top base or clear polish), truly this stuff stays on better than most & is so cheap I pick it up at Coles. It has been around for donkey years & maybe thats because it is quiet good, give it a try & shouldn't have to touch up your polish every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe if the little fellow is a Houdini snake but hes probably long gone by now FF.
    I'm sending you waves of empathy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear FF, I didn't mean to frighten you! I had a little tree snake come in UNDER the closed front door... I saw it's entry... they can flatten those little bodies! But nevermind. He's completely harmless, might eat your rats, but really probably has disappeared down the street and curled up on the branches of a poinciana somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fabulous outfits, I love the colour and pattern if I'm not in white, I'm in black. Oh I just read your bit about grooming, I really need a live in hairdresser, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FF I concur that it is a tree snake and harmless and less scary than the rat IMO.
    I have a very scary snake story. One evening as I was getting the young B's out of the car in the garage a black snake slithered in. Son cried "Get it Mum" (MR B working as per usual). Daughter screaming so I grabbed the first thing I could find and it was a chisel and I sliced it in half!!!!!!!!!! Now I had 2 snakes slithering away both with red bellys!!!!!!
    Quickly realised I was a) An idiot because of course it was a very dangerous Red Belly Black Snake and it could have bitten me and b) I had a comitted an illegal act as this snake is protected in the State of Queensland.
    Anyhoo all ended well.
    Kate Bx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi FF, I found your blog through Une Femme d'un Certain Age some months ago - you were busy decluttering at the time. I really enjoy your blog and your take on life.

    Can't help with the snake - we rarely see them here in the UK thank goodness.

    Loving the kaftan and can't wait to see how you style it.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ms FF, I have to take issue with your comment that 'this is NOT a Blog about World Peace'. If more people were focussed on achieving aesthetic harmony in their lives (and did more gardening and used more butter in their kitchens), there would be considerably more World Peace (I, for example, never feel the need to quarrel after enjoying a slice of a perfectly baked tart with a little dollop of cream on the side). Imagine what could have been achieved if our Leader had been President of the USA in the 1960s rather than First Lady...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear FF, JESUS CHRIST YOUR POST SHOULD HAVE A HEALTH WARNING I AM TOTALLY PHOBIC ABOUT SNAKES, CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT PICS OF THEM OR ON TV!!! What sort of place do you Aussie people live in! i have read all the comments with increasing horror - how cool is Kate B - "so I sliced the deadly black mamba in half...it all turned out well and then i made supper" You Aussie ladies are formidable! And the lady with the snake round the gas canister, what the heck, I would have shot it, it's only a house! Boy 1 totally freaked me out the other night by asking out of the blue "Mummy what's your favourite snake?", Mr B came up behind me and touched my arm, I almost felled him with a single blow... Euch! Off to source those screen things right now, I know we don't usually get those critters round here (Boy1 claimed he saw black snake a while ago - hosepipe?) but can't take any chances....in fact, hell, I'm moving back to central London, where the only reptiles normally found are traffic wardens...
    Sorry, totally unnerved, I did want to say I have those Social Stereotypes books - Victoria Mather, I love them.

    Love the new top, and love Ivana, she is fab, so hope that when I am a bit older I can get some arm candy like she has got!
    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved Snobs...and I can see that there are a few more books that I need to add to my ever expending reading list!
    Have fun at the launch...I am feeling the kaftan vibe...just need to find one now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my, loving the comments today. I have to say though, Ivana scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Ivana Trump resort look...especially the male accessory that she has next to her.
    Every once in a while I have to go for the anti-Jackie look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The snake thingy scared me! I recently styled Ivana Trump - well more like handed her things! I'll email you the photo xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Am so pleased you posted your books- more than half are already on my and my sisters bookshelves!!! I found you via the Hoarding and Decluttering post and have been following you since December with all your glamorous Christmas Tree arrangements... I think you DO play a vital role in world peace. I for one actioned vast amounts off decluttering- sending stuff off to St Vinnies and gifting to friends, I am embracing thrift( The Pollies would be proud of you) and making concerted effort to balance out my watching of The Hills with more ABC (I started watching Australian Story and Kerry because of you) I also am trying to be a better friend and famiy member- you remind me we are so lucky to have them. I am also reading more and baking yeast products by hand. In all seriousness you HAVE made a difference to so many people as you can see when you read the comments of all the lovely blog followers- this in itself is a remarkable achievement- helping make the world a little lovelier, pinker and making people giggle at the same time. PS I also put nailpolish on for the first time in 6 months this week because of you!( New baby= hands washed million times a day= not polish conducive but I was starting to feel guilty reading FF and not being suitably manicured. PPS it was OPI Second Honeymoon oZJANE

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just stopping by to say hello. Loved catching up on all the fab posts I've missed! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Helloooooo Fuax Fushcia! Thanks for the kind words Re: my note on Tuesday night. I've just read them now, and I'm doing fine. My dear friend and "surrogate Mum" up here in Townsville is still with us and I'm spending large chunks of time at the Hospital just holding her hand and brushing her hair, and talking about ridiculous nonsense.

    I have to tell your readers that sitting with a loved one while they are slowly and peacefully giving in to the exhaustion of fighting a long illness - can be the most beautiful time. Death sounds such a scary thing to face, but in reality there is so much love and togetherness that there is nothing to run away from if one is faced with this. In fact It's a privilege to be included.

    On a brighter note, I am sooooooooooooooooooo tempted to jump on a plane and attend the Launch of the Faux Fuschia necklace - the glamour that is FF is not quite available "in the flesh" up here in Townsville.

    xxxx Louise aka Paddy's Sister

    ReplyDelete
  26. AND.... I meant to tell you that when I emailed Paddy to tell her that Faux Fuchsia was looking for her (re the Launch), I think I nailed just the right tone in the email channelling the many times I screamed:
    "Paddy, Mum's looking for you!"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear FF, I adore that your ladder is still abiding by the laws of pinkness. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. FF I think we are on the same page in the decorating universe - I also action faux flowers in my garden and I place forchid flowers in the real plants when they not flowering.I have firds - fudgies in fact- in a decorative aviary in my court yard and like you I do not undercushion or under table lamp - and I must say you and Mr FF looked glam at the B and S opening!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Note to Paddy's sister Louise: you are most definitely invited to the launch. Please jump on plane asap and come get your glamour fix! Love Lotus and Willow xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Darl, That tree snake won't hurt you. He is there to catch the rats who boldly drink martinis and smoke cigars in your court yard. He will eat them and make you happy.

    Love your short friend at the coast x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi FF

    Where oh where are you? This is just not good enough- you get me "hooked" and then you leave me high and dry! I can't possibly go the whole weekend without a fix!
    On the other hand, maybe you're off actioning all sorts of fabulous things with with to regale us soon.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. oops, I mean "with which"

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would be terrfied about the snake and ring some sort of Steve Irwin type person to remove it ASAP.
    I used to live infront of a paddock and we often had snakes there. I didn't like it. Never in the house though.
    Phew.
    I had a bromeliad early last year and it died. But I kept it indoors.
    I'm thinking it might need sun or something.
    Woops.

    ReplyDelete
  34. From paddy:

    Thankyou everyone for making me nearly WET MY PANTS with laughter. The gun, the business meeting and the red-bellied black snake cut in two, blighty's reaction and world peace. Oh the humanity.

    Thanks for the tips on gardening and books, FF. I love broms. Our dear-departed dad got me on to them and 95 per cent of my collection are the babies of his plants.

    Unf, the library has never heard of Robin Dalton. Don't they know who she is?

    In other news, I am reading Wuthering Heights and it is a hoot. Speaking of hoots, Anna Spiro at her mega sale recommended a certain blog called FF because "she's a real hoot''.

    I also think this blog produces superior comments because everyone eats so much butter.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry to be a lurker for so long FF! I don't have a blog so it didn't
    occur to me that it would be so annoying to have people read and
    not leave comments.

    I found your blog through Beauty Boomer and I must say you brighten
    my day with your fun and glamorous life. We stay at home moms have to live vicariously you know! I live in Canada (Toronto).

    I tried leaving a comment yesterday but it didn't seem to go through.
    I am technically challenged so hopefully it works this time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your Kaftan - what a bargain FF! Can't wait to see a pic of you modelling it.. Oh lordy you are so brave too to take a photo of the snake ... have to say that they do scare me having only ever seen one snake in UK (the adder)... I know they are harmless those tree snakes I was still quite nervous when I saw one and I moved pretty fast! Will comment on how I found your blog - I was going to when I first read the entry but I was trying to remember exactly HOW I came across it!! x

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Everything.